Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got me a Rossi Mdl 92 clone in .45 Colt. Actually Rossi calls it a Mdl 65 SRC. But it isn't set up with a saddle ring.
I have had Mdl 94's for ever and am quite familiar with them, but not with Mdl 92's.
For those of you that have rifles like this I have several questions.

Where can I find simple instructions on how to disassemble the rifle?

Recomendations for action modifications to help it feed longer bullets such as the 300gr+ now in use.

A web site if any for Interarms. Or does Taurus have this information now? This is a pre Taurus, pre safety, rifle and I would like to find out when it was made.

I might have more questions in the future, but I haven't been to the range yet. I'll be shooting it this week, will try to put at least 500 rounds through it before I have anything done to it.

Thanks J

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the Rossi Puma 92 in 454 Casull, has no problems with 300 gr or anything so far, when shooting the 45LC compared to the 454 casulls, it was like shooting a cap gun;) when shooting the 45LC then turning over to 454 Casulls I clean the rifle first, due to the 45LC are shorter and may jam the 454's or at least cause too much drag ejecting. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
m141a,
Thanks for the link to the 'sploded drawings. This things got a lot a parts in there. Can't be that complicated.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI
Here is some things I learned while researching my Rossi.

It was imported by Interarms in the early 90's. Interarms is history. It doesn't exist anymore.

Taurus has no information about my Rossi, even though they bought Rossi.

If you have a pre-BrazTech gun made by Rossi and need warranty repair, you send it too:
M&M Gunsmithing
204 South Union Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 739-2150
Fax : (703) 739-9890

I called M&M and talked to Mike this morning. He has a full line of parts for the Interarms imported Rossi 92's like mine.
He is also a full service gunsmithing shop and does what ever is needed on these guns, including trigger jobs and other things as well.

M&M also does warrenty work for Legacy Sports guns as well.

·
Banned
548 Posts
454 LEVER gun??!

Rmouleart -

I saw one of these 454 Pumas used at my local dealer, and was afraid of it. Does yours handle the 454s pressue OK? This is a 65,000 PSI cartridge - I never saw anything this hot in a rear locking lever gun.

The one I saw, I liked a lot. Very light and smooth action. I have the 454 in a Ruger Super Redhawk, and have worked up a lot of handloads. If yours has no problems, I can probably get this one for $375. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My .454 Puma 92 has been a dream. I love the power and it feeds great! The only thing that I will change is the cheap sights!
-Mike

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charlie Z,

Thanks much. This is just what I needed. I haven't read all of it yet, but I've read enough to see I was doing some things that may have been causing me trouble. :D

J

·
Registered
471 Posts
my Puma 454 has shot wonderful and has handled hot loads with no problems, I have hot loaded h110&WW296 using Win/Rem primers using either Hornady brass or Win brass, I noticed the 454 Puma seems to shoot tighter groups on the hot side, even a moderate load for the 454 is hot;) My starting load using H110 is 28.2gr Chronoed at 1880fps smokeing;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

P.S there is only a few things I did not like about the puma.
1.not tapped for a sling.
2.no tapped holes for a forward scope or aim point, maybe be able to use the dove tail.
3.rear stock is small than normal and bits the shoulder on recoil.
4.ejecter rubs hammer on ejecting shells, rubbing off blueing, I thought that was weird, don't cause any problems.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Rmouleart -

What was the bullet weight for that 1880 fps load?

Thanks for the info...I think I need one of those. Can't believe how smooth and tight the action is!

Also, check out the wildcat thread for today re my dialog with Fireplug. I want to taper the 450 Marlin case to .451 and shoot 45s and sabots out of a Guide Gun. Sort of like a stretched Casull!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I achieved the 1880 fps using Hornady XTP 300gr at max load using either H110/ww296 both are close to being interchangeable. I'm going to load some Golddots 260gr .452 dia and work up a load for that Puma 454 Casull, I bet those golddot 260grainers will be cookin,around 2150fps, I am not sure if they will group well, Its funny you mentioned the 450 Marlin, I happen to have one and reload for it, I use .458 dia 350 gr Hornady interlocks, they shoot great. I would not advise using sabots in your guide gun, use what belongs in it, there is many type bullets in .458 to pick from, those sabots will plug up your rails with plastic:( not good, a pain to get out, so I was told bye a couple of people, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Rmouleart -

Do you mean the rails that the bolt slides on? I can't fathom sabots doing anything to the action. They are hard, slick nylon composite, and don't even foul my 454 Casull barrel.

Your 454 Puma loads sound great. That's a lot of power. Do you know the twist rate? It would be fun to know how much weight you could stabilize. I shoot Cast Perf 360 gr LGCs in my Casull and they are very accurate.

·
Registered
227 Posts
J Miller said:
FYI

If you have a pre-BrazTech gun made by Rossi
Interarms imported Rossi 92's like mine.

What's the difference between these that you mention here, and the new ones from Legacy?

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dzrtram,

The only difference that I am aware of is the little safety thing that they have on the top of the breach bolt now. And, (I'm not sure of this at all), they might be putting the key lock on them like they do the .22 pump guns. But I really don't know for sure.

I've only briefly looked at them, and without having one beside my older Rossi, I don't know of any other differences.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts