Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In going through my boxes of factory ammo long forgotten I came across a box of 30-30 Accelerators. I bought 3 or 4 boxes of these and thought I had shot them all. These are Remingtons and the box says they have 55 grain .22 caliber bullets in the sabots. I remember something about these things being illegal due to no rifling left on the bullet, but can't remeber for sure.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Got Sum

I also have several boxes of Accelerators stashed somewhere. IIRC they are in the original boxes and are the .308Win and .30-30 chambering. Maybe '06 also.

That I know of they were never placed on the "cop killer" list. They are completely legal to own and shoot as much as I know. Hunt game animals with....maybe ???

Any of you collectors need/want some of these,let me know. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
From memory, I think the .30-30 Accelerators were listed at about 3400 fps from an unknown barrel length. I don't believe there have been any restrictions on their use, but I do not live in your jurisdiction.

The reason I don't have any now is that they just wouldn't shoot. Very fast for a .30-30, but it doesn't matter how fast you miss stuff.

·
Banned
442 Posts
I have in my junk box a couple of the accelorater bullets with sabot still attached that I recovered downrange. The front plastic fingers were opened up like a propeller acting like a wind brake. If I recall correctly I recovered then at @50 yard line. The bullets were as new so it had stopped before it impacted anything. Starting out at velocitys of 3,500fps counts for nothing if they wont go 50 yards.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,233 Posts
I think the big hubbub about the 30-30 accelerator round was caused by the murder of the federal judge in Texas a number of years ago. The biker gang that shot him used an accelerator round. Nothing left to link any gun to, no rifling and the sabot was never found. I shot some thru a 30-30 but was less than impressed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
from what i remember it was the .30-06 and the .308 that were banned from being factory produced because they were more likely to be used in a crime than the .30-30.

http://www.ammo-one.com/RemingtonAccelators.html

the preceding is a page that i visit alot, and that exact page has info on the accelerators. i really like reading the stuff on that page, and i think it should be on the top list of any ammo collectors website list. it has lots and lots of good information. check it out.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
I guess I must be the odd ball of the group because I really did like those 30-30 Accelerators. I shot them out of a Marlin 336C that I bought at Walmart back in 1981. I loaded one in the chamber and just one in the tubular magazine. I shot my first two wild turkeys with them, (legally) one at 15 yards and the other at 132 yards...

3-shot groups, iron sighted at 50 yards was under an inch and 100 yard groups from a bench averaged under 2". I have also reloaded these rounds and have never gotten anything to shoot as good as what the factory rounds did....

A

·
Registered
307 Posts
i always thought(after finding these) what the results would be out of something with a little more go behind it, like a .300WM or .300RUM. just thoughts, but it would be fun to find out... they still sell the supplies to make them. maybe even throw a heavier bullet with a better BC, like the 77 or 80GR from (i think) bergers.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Been 'Round For Years

The idea of a sabot round has been around for some years now. The military was the first and it spilled over to centerfire and later on muzzleloaders.

I have even dabbled in the hand loaded sabot round outta a single shot .308Win. I made up a small tool that would(I thought) keep the bullet in the sabot absolutely straight while being seated in the brass. I felt(and still feel) that bullet/sabot runout is the prime cause for inaccuracy.

I never could get any bullet to shoot accurately outta the .308. As stated,not nearly as accurate as factory loadings. It could be all in the powder or the type of sabot used by the factory also.

I have a buddy that has experimented with a sabot load outta his 50BMG using a .308" bullet. He stated to me that they come out "really,really fast,but are really,really inaccurate". -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jodum is right on about the federal judge and no evidence. I shot some of the .308's and not real accurate either. I'll stick with my big .22's for the 55gr. stuff.........

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Acceloraters "might be" collectable because they didn't work (very well)?

If you have a box, "I vote to hold'em"!

Crap for ammunition they were. Paper-patch is what they "wanted to be"! Never made the grade!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The Accelraters were never designed for big game. It give the one gun owner (30-30,308 &30-06) a means to varmit hunt. At 4000 fps, a 22 cal 55 JSP will explode on a target (no trace of bullet rifling either), sabot with rifle maybe found. In the early 90s I bought a bag (100ct) of .22 55gr JSP in sabots. I tried loading them in .30-06 for my Browning 1895 and lousy accuracy (3-4" @ 25yds)(velocity was around 3600 fps), and 7.62x33 (30 USCarbine) didn't chronographic these but the did feed and function out of my M1 Carbine. Accuracy was adaqeute at 25 and 50yds. Still have about 20 left and will load them again one of these days.CD

·
Registered
853 Posts
I still have a box of 30-30 accelerators in my stash.....never thought that they might be worth something...

I have a bit of experience with sabots....the basic problem with rifled sub caliber ammo is the need to halt the spin..in a rifled tank cannon this is handled by a brass ring that turns with the rifling allowing the saboted core to not turn. The core is finned which is how it is stabilized. Any turn would be counter productive in a subcaliber round that is much over 2500 fps. The Russians have some interesting saboted rounds that are similar, darts. They are intended to defeat body armor and injure by more than contact alone. There have been several special purpose rounds that are based upon the 50 BMG and .338/416 case. They have a 6.5mm finned dart and a plastic sabot with a slip ring. They are not super accurate but are good enough to hit a 12 inch target at "300+" meters. They are intended to be anti-materiel rounds and are made of very heavy metal.

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
No clue how much spin transfers from sabot to bullet? Not all of it, for sure. I know Harold Vaughn was able to detect core slipping in jacketed bullet at just 3150 fps. I think it was with 90 grain bullets in a .270, but I'd have to look? He used a magnetometer rig to measure actual rotation, but the uninstrumented indication was groups opening up. It's another reason for marrying the right twist to the bullets you intend to shoot and not to presume shorter, lighter bullets will automatically be OK with a twist that is faster than necessary.

One observation, following Zachaliles link, I notice the factory rounds, with the exception of the .30-30 (assuming the .30-30 shown actually is factory) appear to have a stepped sabot that spreads to nearly the diameter of the case mouth, while the sabots for sale do not. I'm wondering if perhaps that added squeeze isn't necessary to impart adequate spin to the .22 inside?

·
Banned
742 Posts
The whole no rifling thing is hogwash. Think about it, look at all of the shotgun slugs and muzzle loading stuff that's out there.

Remington stopped making them because they could never figure out the variables behind the accurate lots and inaccurate lots. Whole batches would be amazingly accurate and the very next day they were junk with no logical explanantion. Remington engineers don't like that kind of thing, no manufacturing engineer does. Plus they didn't sell well enough anyway to pursue it.

It's pointless for a company like Remington to attempt to sell a inconsistent product that doesn't sell well. That hurts the bottom line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.