Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Similar price points. 140gr Ballistic tips have worked well for me in my .270, extremely accurate, but violent expansion, wasted meat and a few "bullet failures." Saw the aforementioned bullets on the market and was wondering what experiences were with them on deer-sized game (and up) but mainly on anything other than broadside shots. I'm sure that they would do the trick on the "perfect" shot, as would the conventional Sierra gamekings that I use already, but was considering these on a wild hair, but wanted something that would hold up and penetrate on quartering-to shots.

Thanks and God Bless, Ryan

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems that the GMX is best suited for opening at higher velocities. Needs at least 2000fps to open (which, at this velocity the "mushroom" is less than impressive), 2500-3000 for optimal expansion. Sounds like I answered my own question on this one, as the GMX may be a little too hard. I like the Partitions or Accubonds to try next, but the Partitions are a little spendy.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Only harvested two deer with the 140 Accubond out of a .270 and neither bullet was recovered...not much help, but it's every bit as accurate as the BT's I used before switching for the same reasons you listed.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yeah from what I have read, the GMXs are better suited for magnum class rounds. i.e. a .300 Win Mag or WSM rather than a .30-06 or .308 for example.

I have killed a boat load of deer with 165 gr ballistic tips in .30-06 without losing one. I found my guns like them toned down just a bit to .308 velocities accuracy wise. They grouped fine with full loads, but even better when I took a little off. I also found that they were not quite as explosive this way. I could see where they would give you trouble at .270 speeds. I have not tried the accubonds yet. If they maintain the outstanding accuracy and consistency standards of the Bal-tips, but hold together better, I can't see how you could go wrong. I have become a big fan of bonded bullets the last couple years. I shot a big deer which was facing me head-on this year with an original Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. I found the bullet in one of the hams. Perfect mushroom and very little meat damage. Sure, the Ballistic tip would likley have blown up in the lung cavity and never made it to the hind end, but I like the extra penetration. I like being able to use the same bullet for any type of big game in America. Makes gun familiarization and zeroing a lot simpler.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi, for the last number of years I have used nothing but nosler bullets. This past season I shot a heavy 5 X 5 Elk with a 130gr AB. The bull was just a touch over 300 yard my first bullet was a little far back and the Elk was starting to run when hit him with the second bullet entered the elk on the right side in the boiler room and I found the bullet just into the left front shoulder. I weighed the bullet and it still weighed 97 grs. I did not recover the first bullet. The year before I shot a dry cow moose at 175 yards again using accubonds. The first bullet again a little to far back and it passed through the second shot high left shoulder but dropped her bullet weighed 81grs. found the bullet in opposite shoulder. She dressed cut and wrapped right around 400 lbs so she was a big girl.
Now this year muley and whitetail I used 130gr partitons both were shot right around 200 yards but no recovery.
PS. I was using a 270 win in a CDL with a 24" barrel and hand loads.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gotta agree - a standard Hornady interlock works great at 270 speeds. I use the 140's now just to slow them down a touch really. You said the GMX needed 2000fps to open? Man just about any distance you can shoot a deer with a 270 will have it going that fast, unless 500 + yds is the norm for you.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Have you considered the Hornady Interlock in 140gr?
I've used these in my 7RM and 7-08 for the last 15+ years, without any problems. The 7RM was my "west" rifle for deer and antelope, my 7-08 is my "east" rifle. All of my shots with the 7RM were at 150yds plus, the farthest shot with a 7-08 was about 200yds. I think it would come to about 2dz whitetails, mule deer, and antelope. I never lost a single critter, and aside from a shoulder shot or two, they didn't ruin a lot of meat. They are usually as good as any bullet I've ever shot for accuracy.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Interlocks must be better now than they were ten years ago. I shot a little buck with my 243 and 100gr interlock last fall (with a chronoed 3000 fps mv) at about 150 yards. He was quartering away so the bullet went thru about 24 inches , dumped him with little meat loss. Several years ago I almost lost a medium size calf elk when my 180 grain interlock from my '06 turned to shrapnel in it's front shoulder at almost 300 yds. Very poor penetration. I had bullets from that same lot open up way to fast on deer too . They have always gouped very good for me so I never gave up on them! :) Maybe that old box was a fluke.:confused:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotta agree - a standard Hornady interlock works great at 270 speeds. I use the 140's now just to slow them down a touch really. You said the GMX needed 2000fps to open? Man just about any distance you can shoot a deer with a 270 will have it going that fast, unless 500 + yds is the norm for you.
That is just for the tip to open... if you see the diagrams of what they call "open" you will see that the tip of the bullet expands to bullet diameter only, not real good performance for a .277 hole, IMO.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think you would do well with the Accubonds. You will get a good mushroom and great penetration. I used the 140gr Accubond on a big elk and had satisfactory performance. You could also look at the 150gr Ballistic Tip for the 270. It will have a muzzle velocity of around 3000, and should be in the sweet spot for any deer shooting. Plus, they are fairly inexpensive compared to their premium counterparts. It would be hard to beat a 140gr Accubond for your case though. Middle of the road as far as cost, but very high in performance. Doubt you would ever find one in a deer! Scotty

·
Registered
368 Posts
As others have commented the Nosler BT is a fine bullet; I have used it in 7m-08 and been successful with it out to 400 yards on antelope. My only reservation was the , relatively, high degree of meat damage even with a classic broadside hit situation. I shifted to the Accubonds for both 7m-08 and 30-06. At mid-range velocities for both calibers the AB is equally accurate as the BT and eqully fatal with less explosive damages. I will experiment with the Hornaday GMX/Nosler Etip this spring as possible options to the lead fragmentation issues. The Accubond is currently my projectile of choice.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I will be working on developing a load for the 30.06 with the GMX 165 gr. tomorrow. The only reason for it is to have a lead free round ready in case some hunt requires a lead free bullet. The possibility of this is very remote for me but I want to be prepared. There are a lot of other bullets I would have developed first before this one otherwise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts