Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 21 year old Remington 700, 25-06. Last year my wife and I shot 4 Deer w/ 4 bullets. This gun has been my only hunting weapon since I was 12. Anyhow, the gun was dead on last year after the season, now I can't hit the same 2" group twice to save my life. I made sure the scope was tight, tried 2 other scopes and made sure they were tight. I used factory loads, I reloaded my own. Nothing is helping. I did notice last night that on the front of my barrel the sight screws are canted to the left a bit. They do not line up with the back sights. I have never noticed that before so I don't know if that's an issue. I don't know what the heck else it could be. I've used a lead sled when shooting and also just used my bi-pod. I had my Dad shoot several round through it and the same results, so I know it's not the shooter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R.S.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Point of impact is moving? Sounds like a stock bedding issue. Possibly the scope bases (you mentioned changing scopes, but are the bases tight?).

I'd use some good copper solvent in the bore, but this has the hallmarks of uneven stock pressure on the barrel.

I'm going to move this in the Rifles topic where it may get a bit more attention.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would check everything once more, scope rings, bases, and action screws. Have a look at the crown of the muzzle and make sure it hasn't been dinged. Then give it a good thorough cleaning with a cooper solvent and try it again.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I just got finished having the same problem with a Marlin 22 mag rifle! I put a newe Bushnell Trophy 4 x 12 power scope on the rifle and noticed the barrel was touching the wood stock. So I took the stock off the barreled action and got out my Dremel Tool. It took about 1/2 hour of taking away excess wood. They I put a sealer on the wood. Now before the sun went down, I got that little .22mag shooting .75-MOA at 100 yards. It shoots those little 30 grain bullets into .600-MOA.:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 21 year old Remington 700, 25-06. Last year my wife and I shot 4 Deer w/ 4 bullets. This gun has been my only hunting weapon since I was 12. Anyhow, the gun was dead on last year after the season, now I can't hit the same 2" group twice to save my life. I made sure the scope was tight, tried 2 other scopes and made sure they were tight. I used factory loads, I reloaded my own. Nothing is helping. I did notice last night that on the front of my barrel the sight screws are canted to the left a bit. They do not line up with the back sights. I have never noticed that before so I don't know if that's an issue. I don't know what the heck else it could be. I've used a lead sled when shooting and also just used my bi-pod. I had my Dad shoot several round through it and the same results, so I know it's not the shooter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R.S.
Have you taken the stock off recently? Maybe the action screws were not tightened back to spec.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Assuming - always a bad idea - that your stock is wood, check for uneven pressure caused by the "pad" in the barrel channel just back of the fore-end that contacts the barrel on the underside. It's supposed to give a small amount of upward pressure and improve accuracy. In my experience, it's better to have the barrel free floated. You can free float the barrel by removing the pad. Also check for the barrel contacting the stock on either side of the barrel channel. If it is, relieve the wood from that area so there's no contact. Also check the tightness of your action screws.

As moisture content in the stock wood changes, the stock can warp slightly and cause the exact problem you're experiencing. The stock should be sealed against moisture and the barrel channel is often the place where it enters. If you remove the pad or any wood in the channel, be certain to reseal the wood.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
You mention not being able to hit the "same 2 inch group" twice. Does this mean you're hitting 2" groups, but they are moving back and forth between two points of impact? Are you getting 2" groups, but they just keep moving, randomly? What you describe, in my experience, is pretty unusual; there is usually a pattern to how the groups change, regardless of what the problem is.

If your groups are alternating back and forth between two POI's, it's typically a scope issue, of some kind. If your groups gradually open up, it's frequently a stock bedding/contact issue. What you're describing might be a problem with your action screws...if they're a little loose and the action is shifting around, your groups can, too.

If you can set up three targets and shoot them round-robin, with 3-shot groups, you might learn more about what the actual cause of the problem is.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hi R.S
That sounds like the same problem I had. Basically it came down to two factors. Copper fouling in the barrel. I use Bore-Tech's Eliminator. Its quite pricey but so much better than the other stuff. Not sure if its avaiable in the US. The other thing was that the barrel was touching the stock, which interfered with the regular vibrations of the barrel. Sorted those two things out and it was back to normal.
Let us know when you get it right, what the cause was.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
So many suspects.

You've checked scopes and mounts, which is usually a good place to start.

Clean the bore.

Take the metal out of the stock and take a hard look for any cracks in the wood or rub marks where the wood might be binding to the barrel. Wood, even old wood, has a mind of its own, and when wood decides it's gong to expand/contract. or warp it's going to do it. If the bedding is loose, the gun just won't stay on zero no matter what you do.

Dissassemble the bolt and clean out the striker. Gunk, congealed grease, etc. can slwo the striker leading to variable ignition. Doesn't have to be variable enough for you to notice, but it can certainly make for large groups.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think the last poster pointed at the first thing I would try, a darn good cleaning http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html. For this you will need a good bronze brush, a good bore guide (I stronly recommend the Lucas), a one piece coated or carbon fiber rod (Tipton or Dewey) some Butches Bore Shine and some KG-12 Copper solvent (Sweets works well also but don't leave it in the barrel for more than a few minutes).

The throat area (first couple of inches from the chamber) gets a very hard carbon build up that can be very difficult to remove so that area will require some special attention. Get it clean and see how it shoots then.

Take the scope off and make sure the base plate screws are tight.

If you're still having problems, then I would look at free floating the barrel and having the action pillar post bedded. Properly done, this will help any rifle shoot tighter groups.

From this point, you might want to find a smith with a good bore scope and have a professional check it out.

By the way, I failed to mention, I tighten the front action scew to 70 inch pounds and the rear to 50 inch pounds, the center has no real affect so I just snug it up good, probably about 30. I don't have any 700's that I have not pillar post bedded or put fiberglass stocks on, but I would think a good wood stock will handle these torques.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lots of great suggestions here. I would follow the advise of an extreme cleaning. If I also intended to hunt with the gun for years to come I'd get rid of the wood stock. They do tend to warp over time and cause random issues such as you have described. Find yourself a quality synthetic aftermarket stock with pillar bedding. This would eliminate the possibility of wood ever changing anything on your hunting rifle. I also liked the suggestion of checking the action screws. They can work themselves loose over time especially on a wood stock that expands and contracts with changes in moisture. Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just for starters, you could try pressuring the barrel with aluminum foil between the stock and bbl and see what happens.

If you float it, MEAN it. Also, older wood stocks can compress and you can put pillars in the stock to combat this.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You might double check that your crown hasn't gotten gouged or such also. Have seen inconsistencies in crown cause this with some bullets. If there's a gouge or scratch, you can use a ball bearing that is a little bigger than the bore and some jeweler's rouge to clean up the small stuff. Just another possibility. 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW, you guys are incredible for helping. Thanks a bunch!

The Scope and mounts are all tight so that's not a question in my mind. I have not removed the barrel from the stock or anything of that nature. I will certainly look into the bedding issue and the stock not being resealed since I have owned it.

Thanks so much and I will update when I find the problem.

R.S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I find the sight being off a focal point. Seems like the barrel is loose in the receiver?? Is the sight rotated clockwise when looking from the stock? If the barrel is right threaded, and the sight is off in that direction, then it is backing out of the receiver and becoming loose.

·
Registered
571 Posts
WOW, you guys are incredible for helping. Thanks a bunch!

The Scope and mounts are all tight so that's not a question in my mind. I have not removed the barrel from the stock or anything of that nature. I will certainly look into the bedding issue and the stock not being resealed since I have owned it.

Thanks so much and I will update when I find the problem.

R.S.
Be sure the bore is cleaned thoroughly. Those little quarter bores can foul quickly. I have a .257wby that fouls quickly....we put alot of powder down a small tube with these.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took it to my gunsmith and he noticed a very small bulge in the end of the barrel. He took off 1/2" at the end of the barrel and problem fixed. $50 and a box of bullets it is back in business.

Thanks for the help guys.

R.S.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Thanks for following up and letting us know!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I took it to my gunsmith and he noticed a very small bulge in the end of the barrel. He took off 1/2" at the end of the barrel and problem fixed. $50 and a box of bullets it is back in business.

Thanks for the help guys.

R.S.
Glad it wasn't a whole lot of time or money to fix it...maybe that bulge went hand-in-hand with a bad crown? As some folks pointed out, that could have been the entire problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts