Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shooting a .41 mag Marlin 1894 carbine. I would like to know if there is a solution to this problem. 1st shot is always 2" higher than the rest of the group. Shots 2, 3, & 4 all cluster together. Shot 5 always strikes high about 1/2 way between shot 1 and the clustered group. I have looked at my 1st targets from the past 3 years and for this firearm the results are always the same. Any idea on what is causing this or how to correct this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
For your first shot, two things to consider. First cold bore shot is always higher, Second are you loading into the chamber or from the magazine? Make sure you chamber the same way every time (usually a problem with auto loaders) For the 5th shot, gun could be heating up and throwing shot (bbl heats up and forearm pressure move POI). How long between shots? Groupings? I also have a Marlin 1894S in .41 that I picked up around 88-89' and its my favorite lever gun and added a Williams reciever sight.

CD

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Oldbull,

You don't mention what range you are shooting at or whether or not you are using a scope, open sight, aperture, etc. As CD said, first shot with a cold bore can be consistently different, which is why a lot of people will fire a "fouling" shot before shooting for group. Then, the preferred method is a 3-5 shot group. If you fired a fouling shot and then 3-shot groups, you might not have ever noticed the odd 5-shot phenomenon, which probably is due to the barrel heating up. This depends somewhat on your rate of fire, but it sounds to me like the solution you're looking for is to shoot 3-shot groups, with time for the barrel to cool, in-between.

One of the reasons for free-floating a bolt-action rifle is to eliminate pressure out at the tip of the stock, especially as the barrel heats up. Not really an option with your gun, but it does serve to illustrate what you are probably seeing. Try shooting 1 shot, then a 3-shot group, then letting the gun cool for 10-15 minutes...then another 3-shot group. Let us know what you find.

Jason

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
From what range are you shooting for group? I ask because the 2 inch high with the lever at 100yds with the 1st shot would be good but with iron at 50 it ain't shabby. You may want to see what it does for 10 round group at a controlled rate of fire, just for kicks and giggles. You sound like you are well on your way to learning a lot about the little lever or shortening your time away from the loonie bin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts