Shooters Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I'm just discovering Humpy's posts. Wow- amazing amounts of knowledge. I've gad good success with case life and accuracy with a bunch of LC .308 brass I was given in the '80's - now I know why. I had no money back then and a friend gave me a few hundred once-fired cases. I thought I was just "making do", but I realize I was better off than I thought. I'm not a high volume shooter; I shoot more than most hunters, but not nearly as much as most competitors. Anyway, I prepped about 100 of them and have fired and reloaded some of them more than a dozen times, maybe 2 dozen. The necks did get work-hardened and needed to be annealed, but I don't recall any neck splits or case failures. a few have been taken out of service as the web got thin. I did note early on that I started to get flattened primers at 42.0 gr. of IMR4064 with a 168 gr. bullet, which was below published maximums in several manuals. I know flattened primers aren't always indicative of max pressure, but since I knew military brass tended to be thicker, I didn't go any further. And my rifle really liked 41.5 anyway. I hope I've got 15 or so more years of shooting in me, that gun will probably continue to get a steady diet of LC.
Be advised, the current production of LC brass is not the same as it used to be. SO results may vary.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I hope I've got 15 or so more years of shooting in me, that gun will probably continue to get a steady diet of LC.
BTW in case you missed it, Humpy was referring to LC Match cases, as in M118. Hard to find and nowhere near the same as LC Ball brass. The web in the M118 cases is heavier and less capacity

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine were LC match, that first batch was 81. I'll probably pull another 100 from my "stash", prep them, and shoot for the next ever-how-many years I have left (!) I'm almost 61, so I hope to send a few hundred 168's downrange (and through a few deer!) over the next 15-20 years. Humpy should write a book. I'd buy it.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Mine were LC match, that first batch was 81. I'll probably pull another 100 from my "stash", prep them, and shoot for the next ever-how-many years I have left (!) I'm almost 61, so I hope to send a few hundred 168's downrange (and through a few deer!) over the next 15-20 years. Humpy should write a book. I'd buy it.
Brass was better than the loaded round from 81 M118. Forget the guys name that was brought into LC to fix the M118 production which didn't last and by 81 M118 was worthless except if you did the Mid Thompkins mexican match thing.

The 168 SMKs are great to 600 yards and that's about it. I still load mine with the Lapua D46s.

I doubt Humpy will write a book. Usually busy doing something.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That was a lot of info, good stuff

So far I have 35 reloads off of Lapua brass in 6mm br, I use a full length die made by Whidden, the trick not to wear brass out is to only bump the shoulder back .002, the whidden dies come with a case headspace gauge, I do the same on all my brass, all lapua, 308 30BR 6mmBR, 6mmBRX 223 , I bump .002 and some neck bushings at .002 also, believe it or not I wore out a Shilen 6mmbr barrel before the brass at 2500 rounds it wouldn't compete anymore, it would still shoot a little over 1 inch at 200 yards but that's not good enough, got another barrel same brass.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a 500 round lot of LC63 Match on their third barrel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's some long life, I guess you're not running them hot, I have not had luck with LC I have split a few in half, I have a ton of them I load for my ARs, in my bolt action 1/7 twist at 24.8 gr varget, 82 gr berger match BT , the LC came apart I had them all weight within .5gr, then I bought the lapua for it, LC is good brass no doubt, just didn't work for this gun and load. don't think I haven't blown out some lapua brass, on my 6MM BRX during load development, there's not much data out there other than those who have tried it like the dasher, there's a lot of variables when you go to a improved version, some of that brass after fire forming, running a ladder ended up not fitting in the shell holder, some the primer pockets you could hand push a primer in, but we got that under control now, took 2nd twice so far at 300 yards, plan on going 1st this Saturday , went to the 105 berger hybrid, shooting pretty good now.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
FM47, if you are having case separations you are oversized somewhere. You have a huge chamber or a very small die and a huge chamber. You should only lose a case as a result of a primer pocket getting loose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No just hot load, my throat I had cut long with 82 gr bergers base of bullet is at shoulder junction, and running 25.2 rl15, no problems now with lapua, the lc may have been wk it was once fired from a indoor range, berger shows an COAL of 2.260 that is mag length My COAL is 2.533 berger shows 23.1 rl15 my load is 25.2 , when I had shilen make that barrel I sent them dummy round of where I wanted the bullet to touch lands, my wife has won 3 out of 3 matches in varmint for score at 100 yards

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I really wish I had seen this post before I got my 225 Winchester. I had to learn all of this the hard way, by using a micrometer to figure out my Hornady dies squeeze the cases down to a much smaller size than they are when they come out of the chamber. Also, I was losing cases to neck splits after 2 or 3 firings.

If I had seen this information from Humpy a lot sooner, I would have bought the Redding neck-sizing die and saved myself a lot of aggravation! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to hear of the medical problems, Humpy - that pretty much curtails shooting activities until therapy (hopefully) will make things right.

My shooting shoulder has arthritis setting in and I've really got to pad it to keep the recoil down, even with moderate cartridge loadings. It's the pits when wanting to shoot the old Spfld Trapdoor, even with reduced loads.

Your experimentation with the one case reloads is interesting, indeed.
This is first rate case life and chamber spec intel-especially annealing..or almost annealing.
Lever action shooters with arthritis that is recoil sensitive-should avoid the use of a Winchester Model 71 or 86
chambered in 450 or 50 Alaskan.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
yeah I bet that could be interesting. The thing I am concerned about is something happening to my neck. It does't take a medical degree looking at my neck X rays to know I have a very delicate neck situation. I have already been told another wreck would likely kill me on the spot.

I have talked to four other shooters that had the same surgery and they were not able to come back and I really miss high power competition.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts