Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to convert my 30-30 94 Legacy to an AI chamber for the advantages listed in the above discussion. Having it done isn't a chore but then what neck sizer do you use? I don't really want to order a full length sizing die since part of the goal is to lessen the working of the brass and make it last longer. A .308 NATO die would work but not all the way down the neck because of the difference in shoulder angle.
 Next, How about the 30-06 AI? A .300 Win die is too long and, again, a .308 NATO has a different shoulder angle and won't do the whole neck, but the shoulder diameter is the same. That's not as big of a deal as in the 30-30 because the neck tension is more vital in the later than in a box-fed gun.
 Anyone who's doing it already please let me know.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
I think the Collet Dies will work for you for neck sizing but eventually you may have to full length size or bump the shoulder back at least for your levergun after a number of firings.

<a href="http://www.leeprecision.com/catalog/browse.cgi?991245848.2021=dies-p6.html

The" target="_blank">http://www.leeprecision.com/catalog....l

The</a> 30/30 brass will last quite a while with the straighter case configuration of the AI. The extra cling factor is there. The cartridge can be loaded to surprising heights but the brass in itself becomes the limiting factor if you do that. Then it won't last long.

Some have also used the heavier 375 Winchester brass for the added strength of it. You'll need a full length die for reforming if you go that route though.

See if you can get a price just for the Full length sizer only and just use a 30 cal Hornady seater die. CH/4D has a complete 30/30 AI set for &#3660.00 and the sizer only for &#3639.60.

http://www.ch4d.com/ch4d/Catalog/Page20a.htm

Regards, Ray

(Edited by Contender at 10:35 pm on Dec. 25, 2001)

(Edited by Contender at 10:37 pm on Dec. 25, 2001)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bigal,
I currently load for my M94 .30-30 AI and use a Redding full length sizer to partially FL size my brass.  I have reloaded most my Rem nickel plated brass +5 times without any failures.

This is a great cartridge and a blast shooting pigs on the silhouette range.  I have yet to hit the turkeys consistently (if at all).  Hope you enjoy Ackley's cartridge!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Although I've found it wise to neck size only on AI cartridges such as the 25-06 AI, I've never seen much advantage in the 30-30 AI neck sizer. The cartridge is still a fairly moderate pressure cartridge, and the brass seems to last fairly well. In lever guns, I think it's probably wise to FL in any case. My 2 cents worth.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
As an additional note, I found a used Lee collet sizing die for a .300 Weatherby yesterday.  Cut it down for my .30-06, not having a Weatherby handy to use it for.

The die was very easy to modify for a shorter cartridge.  If anyone is interested in the particulars, let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts