Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we live in a very selfish society and I would really hope that I am wrong. I work pretty hard helping whoever I can, whether I know them or not.

I'm a pretty regular blood donor along with being a registered bone marrow and organ donor. I've helped build a friend's house and I'm remodeling a friend's bathroom as her husband is paralyzed and they needed a shower stall put in place of a very heavy cast iron tub. I also donate 4 weeks a year teaching hunter safety classes. I can't say I've always been like this, I got pretty tired of seeing friends ripped off by mechanics and contractors, plus I have always wanted to help them any way I can. I don't know, I guess its a function of feeling guilt for not helping more.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Congrats to you. The world would be better if there was more people with that view. I don't donate blood, I do pheresis(is my spelling right?) donations, giving either platelets or wbc. I am a health care professional(Respiratory Therapist, specializing in burn care) and I see the need....the need to give, not me me me. Hat's off to you, sir.

·
Banned
505 Posts
Awesome!

I think we live in a very selfish society and I would really hope that I am wrong. I work pretty hard helping whoever I can, whether I know them or not.
I agree!

Well great, me I like to help others as well. Probably here, there are more than a few who do the same, seems rare indeed, but worth it to me to pay it forward, not looking for a return. I have noticed that lately there is a trend toward seed monies and seed helping, meaning doing one or two things in hope of an abundant return or harvest. I don't like that and think its wrong. I feel that you should help and expect nothing in return, and that in helping, whether thanked or not the kingdom is being moved forward. I often think of the story of the boy throwing the starfish back into the ocean and think about the difference he made to or/for the one, and reflect that one deed or action of goodness will move mountains in someone elses life and help them to be a better person as well! I don't help everybody, nice if I could, but have tried to go out of the way for those that are in need, or desperate situations. Glad but, not really surprised, that you guys are doing the same as there are great people here!:D

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I make it a point to help whenever I can, but I won't usually help those that refuse to help themselves. I won't give to panhandlers, that doesn't solve anything. I make several donations to the local Food Bank, Rescue Missions, and Salvation Army throughout the year, so those that are seeking help and want to better themselves are rewarded.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The way I see it is the good Lord put us here expecting us to help one another. Any time you have a chance to help someone and you don't then you've done wrong. Whenever you do good for someone it always puts a smile on your face and sometimes theirs too.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree 100% tnslim! That is my philosophy on the matter, the Bible says we are the hands of feet of God.

I wasn't trying to show off... merely how I try to lead a life of service to God.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
As an addendum to Wpage's quotation from Acts, some psychological studies have been done of happiness that agree. Public radio actually had a piece about how our brains seem to be wired to be more sustainably happy when we contribute than when we acquire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts