Votes: 8 17.0%
  • bolt action cartridge

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • other

Votes: 7 14.9%
5K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  bfrshooter 
#1 · (Edited)
[/List]
What is your most accurate pistol/revolver. Mine oddly enough is my 44 mag in a Ruger Super Blackhawk.

#3 ·
Ruger Redhawk 44 mag shooting 180 grain XTP's. Sounds funny I know but it's scary accurate out to 50 yards with only factory sights.

Second would be my SBH Hunter.

RJ

#8 · (Edited)
Which?

Y'know.....you asked for two related but different pieces of info.
The poll asks what is my most accurate pistol cartridge. The thread asks what is my most accurate pistol. Those are not the same, though they kinda go together.
I answered .22LR because my most accurate pistol out to 50 yards is my Pardini Model 75 Free Pistol.

I suspect that, in general, the .22LR is the most accurate pistol cartridge out to about 50 yards. Even a relatively inexpensive .22 pistol like just about any of the Rugers or Brownings, etc, will give groups that you'd have a hard time duplicating with a custom CF gun.
Beyond that 50 yards or so, things change and so do the cartridges and guns. At 100 yards, my most accurate semi-auto is still a .22 but not a Rimfire; its the FN FiveSeven pistol in 5.7X28. For others it's going to be one of the heavier CF boomers.
And.....accuracy....means different things to different shooters. I can shoot at a bullseye target for score and get a good result with a group that is not all impressive - master class score (95/100) may be shot with a group that is five inches or so wide at 50 yards. I have a 1911 that will allow me to do that (it will. I don't.).
Pete

#9 ·
Weigh, barrel length, trigger and sight radius all come together on my old MK I with the 6 7/8" barrel, and a box of Remington target. If I want to chew the dot out of a target at 25-50yds to impress myself, or just feel good, that is the one.

As Revolvers go, my SS with a 6 1/2" tube is close behind the MK I. I have bumped off pests out to 75yds, resting my arms between my knees, and can keep my shots on a 1/2 size man silhouette out to 100yds, offhand.

My .357 BH is very good. I installed a steel birdshead grip frame, a steel ejector rod, and carefully cleaned up the trigger with and added a Wolf light trigger spring. Even with a 4 5/8" barrel, it's one of the best shooters I've ever owned. My SP101 is catching up though.

For quite a while I had a K-38. With 148gr wadcutters, it was as good as the MK I. Like a DS, I traded it for a long gone treasure I thought I needed at the time.

#10 ·
Accurate pistol

My new .44 special Ruger Blackhawk is the most accurate handgun I have ever fired.

I shot a 1960's era Colt Gold Cup that was awesome. It just kept putting those big ole slugs into tight little groups, but when I shot my flattop .44 special, I was stunned.

I shot a group at 15 yards over bags that was one ragged hole. Shot a duplicate with the next 6 rounds. The groups were 5/8" dia, which means the gun was shooting .2 groups.

The load was a Lee 240 gr. SWC cast from a 6 cavity mold and sized to .430 HARD wheelweight. The powder was bluedot, at 1100 fps.This is a good 100 yd deer load, and recoil is not punishing.

#12 ·
Mine is a toss up of several 44 mags. A 7.5" barreled Ruger Super Blackhawk, a 10.5" barreled scoped Super RedHawk, or My 629 S&W Performance Center Stealth Hunter. It depends wich one I happen to be shooting that day. My most accurate pistol, it isnt a handgun cartridge is my Remington XP100R 260 Rem., it shoots sub M.O.A. at 100 yards, it shoots as good as most of my rifles.

#13 ·
The most accurate pistol I have ever owned, was indeed a Colt Python .357 magnum purchased in 1960's. Next would be the Colt 1911 in a model 70 series that was sent to a very good gunsmith and the cost back then was $800 dollars extra. It was a 2.5 inch gun at 50 yds off a stationary jig at the bench, with match ammo.:) However, I voted for the .357 magnum in Colt Python because it shot clover leafs at 30 ft in those days. It shot 2 inch groups all day long at 20 yds!

#16 ·
The SBH is great but right now, my 3 BFR's are the most accurate. All have done less then 1" at 100 yards many times.
The S&W 29 was super as long as you stayed withing recoil rates by not going too heavy with the boolits.
I shot this 50 yard group with the SBH and I shot the can at 100. I hit the rail with one shot so I aimed higher for the last shot.

#26 ·
Most accurate pistol cartridge is a multi-facetted question. For 50 yds. or less, probably one of my .22s. For 100 yds and beyond, my .30-30 Wichita International top break single shot. When loaded with 168 gr. Sierras, that thing may shoot into 2” at 200 m with iron sights.

#28 ·
I also shot coins at 100 yards with a TC contender at 100 yards with a scope. Cast boolit.

6.5, 1919 Swede at 100 yards, off hand.

I once sot 5 shots into 1/4" at 350 yards with my old model 70 220 Swift.
I am called crazy and a liar but your gun can shoot and I don't care what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.