Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone know anything about these barrels other than they are cheaper than most. My Dad bought a bull barrel in 22-250, fit it to a Mauser action and a laminated stock. We shot it for the first time tonight and it shot 7/8" the very first group with Win factory ammo. It would appear this gun will be a shooter with proper breakin and load development. I also have a 24" 06 A & B barrel that I was thinking of getting rid of but may now keep it. Any one ahve any thoughts/experiences/ info to pass on? Thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've never used one of those barrels but have searched around most of the forums for info on them. Most either love them, or hate them. I thought it would be a good way to put together a beater rifle, use both the barrel and the stock from Midway. I have vz 24 action I'll probably use. Might even go with 8mm Mauser, that cartridge looks interesting to me. If I wasn't happy with it I could always rechamber it to 8mm-06, or 3200 Hawk.

·
Registered
90 Posts
E gun parts have mil surp barrels for your VZ. The one I have is real clean and shiny bore...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just read an article recently (Rifle or Handloader Nov 02?) and it had a Savage with the switch barrel system, from a standard caliber to 300WSM. The author switched the bolt face and barrel in a couple hours went to the range and commenced to shooting to shooting MOA groups maybe even a little smaller. Sounds pretty good for not much investment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just finished sifting through my past issues of Rifle magazine. In the Sept 2000 issue John Barsness wrote an article on inexpensive barrels. One of the ones he tried was an Adams&Bennett in 7x57. His only negative comment was that the barrel fouled easily. Accuracy was on par with many of the other barrels he tried.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Whitetail,
I used an A&B barrel for a Mauser project in 257 Roberts. The first load that I shot through it averaged 1.1 inch @ 100 yds. It seems to clean as easy as any factory barrel that I have. I was very pleased considering that it is the lightweight contour 20 incher. I would not hesitate to buy another one when the time comes. Regards, Ted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts