Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i don t much believe you can do it here in the carolinas..this morning i tried a 340yd shot 3 times in a 7- 10 mph wind going right to left.. only problem was out there about 200 the wind reversed itself due to thermals on a railroad track..both sides of the track has heavy tall oak cover..
this evening, got home from the nursing home an i tried again in dead calm ...the rnds hit almost the same place just to right of aim point..i can live with that.. but so far,, shooting in wind here has me stumped ,unless its steady all the way through your shooting zone..that don t happen a lot here except at shooting ranges..
luckyly we have a some dead calm days .. or at least periods of time during the day..
by the way gun 3006 ,rnd 180 grn fed soft point....muzzle vel 2700 fps,, savage 110..22inch barrel... any comments welcome..thanks slim
my appolodies ..this ought to be in rifles forum..

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Allowing for any particular trajectory of almost any particular round is a snap for long range shooting once you have figured it out. Wind is another thing entirely. It cannot ever be known precisely just how much to allow for wind deflection on a long shot for the very reasons you have pointed out. It stumps me too.

A good friend once commented during a session shooting prairie dogs that, once, just once he would like to be able to hold right on a dog. It seems I almost never get to hold on a target that small, at least in Saskatchewan. Wind is always a problem, and it is a problem that makes all really long range shooting a gamble. That is the main reason I seldom shoot long ranges at big game.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Wind is the big bugaboo out there for most of us. Ballistics tables are a help, but only get you in the ballpark. Judging what the wind is doing throughout your bullet path is the tough part. My friends and I have sure burned a lot of powder trying to dope the wind out rockchucking, where all we have is what we feel at our shooting position, and what we can see in 'stiff' sagebrush out in front of us. It's good practice, and good fun, anyway! As is shooting targets to see how good you are at doping the wind.

·
Registered
517 Posts
three words for it,practice,practice,and practice and the you get maybe sorta of good at it. Ran into the same thing at a local f-class match this past week end. Did okay but just when I thought I had it figured out for the next shot the wind would switch. But also a bad day of shooting always beats a good day at work.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well least im in good company..:) i just can t afford the kinda practice it
would take,as even then, nature throws a curve ,the last 100 yrds or so..
i guess it might just depend on how hungry i was as to whether id try a long shot in wind while hunting....thanks for the in put..slim

·
Registered
863 Posts
Playing with varmints at long range can be fun. But, the invisibility and great variablilty of wind is why I will never take a shot past maybe 300 yards at a game animal. The likelyhood of wounding and losing a worthy animal is too great for the small reward if it's successful; there will be other animals and other days.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
First off you need a wind meter. This will allow you to know exactly how fast the wind is acctualy blowing. The wind is almost always slower than what people think it is. Nest good optics allow you to see what the wind is doing down range by observing the movement of the vegetation. This is learned from watching the vegetation movement close to you and comparing it to the down range movement. The wind meter will tell you the wind speed where you are

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
That Federal round is rated at 2700 fps from a 24" barrel, so it will be about 2650 fps from your 22" barrel. You have a flat tip, flat base bullet, which is good for accuracy in no wind, but the ballistic coefficient is 0.391, which is about 20% lower than most 180 grain boattail hunting bullets. So, it will blow around more. On Federal's tables, at 340 yards your bullet blows 12" when fired at 2700 fps, where the Nosler Accubond that Federal also loads will only blow 8" at that range in a 10 mph wind.

I recommend you get a copy of Jim Owens's book that covers the subject. It is oriented toward Highpower match shooting, but that gives you a starting point and it will give you ideas. It is just about 50 pages. Almost a pamphlet, but pretty straight forward. One of the best features is the simple list in the back of wind speed effects on tree leaves and dust and so on from the National Weather Service, originally. I don't see it on their web site, though.

The description is:

"Reading the Wind and Coaching Techniques" - A simple system for judging the speed, direction and value of the wind. Learn to read the mirage, wind strategies, effects on the bullet and much more. The coaching techniques will help your own performance and that of others.

Owens site is here.

Another thing you can do for practice, practice, practice without breaking the bank is to scale the shooting down for .22 Rim Fire. It's not exactly equivalent, but based on Federal's own charts for 10 mph wind, you'll find that at about 150 to 160 yards, American Eagle .22 rimfire ammunition with a 40 grain solid bullet will give you very roughly the same wind drift in inches that you have with your Federal .30-06 ammo at 340 yards. A woodchuck size target will be twice as large at that range, but the number of inches of miss, left or right, will be about right if the wind is the same.

If you want to use a scaled-down target so the drift has the same moa rather than the same number of inches so it takes the same number of clicks of sight adjustment and hold-off on the target to correct, it looks like 70 yards will do that. You'll need to make your target 5 times smaller than it really is, and pretend the .22 bullet hole is just about 1/16" diameter at the center to represent a .308 at that shorter range.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you nick ..i aint to old to learn..i ll look it over good.
meantime i ll let you guys know ive got that gun an rnd an shot,,
dead on at 340 yrds,no wind.. i just put it up ..nothing else i can do to make the gun more accurate..kinda of a good feeling..
it wasn t too long ago that if i hit anything at that distance..it was an accident.:)
oh well now to study the wind shootin info. slim
ps one thing the cost of ammo has done is teach me to shoot way less an learm more from each shot..silver lining ,i guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
winds5-8 mph blow leaves arround,winds 8-12 mph raises dust and winds15 -15 sway the trees. now picture your range as a wrist watch,,if the wind direction is from 12 -6 it won't affect your shot but from the 3 -9 positionds is where the trouble comes in. from the 3 to 9 crosswind at 10 mph @100yd a 165-180 gr bullet will drifr 3/4 in [email protected] yd the drift arround 3 in. .........300yd. 6 to 7 in. ........400 yd 12 to 13 in. .that's far as i shoot..if the wind is 5 mph cut these in halh and if the wind is arround 20 mph then double the figures.. hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts