Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine makes a custom jig that lets you make your own hollow points with a hand held drill. I tried it today for the first time:

Ones on the left are 100 grain (for .380) and the ones on the right are 190 grain (for .357 Mag/Max). The ones on the left were done with 25/1 and the ones on the right were done with air cooled wheel weights.

They look promising. We'll see how they do in wet phone books in a week or so. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very interested to see how they shoot and expand. Any chance of getting a picture of the jig? I've been thinking about doing something simular.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure see the attached pictures.

I have two different bushings. You slide the bullet inside the bushing, then the bushing goes in one end of the jig with the bullet nose facing the hardened drill guide on the other side.

Tighten the thumb screw and drill to desired depth with the drill bit in the picture.

Hope that helps you in your project. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks...very helpful. Nice design.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These buggers definitely expand:

Probably a little too much. Next batch i'm going to make with shallower holes.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
hey ole1830 does your friend sell these that really draws my attention that is cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by the way nice gun

·
Banned
605 Posts
Hollow Point Bullets

I don't cast at all but I did come across an article in the January/Februrary issue of American Handgunner about this very issue that you may find helpful. John Taffin wrote the article. Someone is making mold inserts that fit inside Lyman, NEI and RCBS molds that create perfect hollow points. Something for you guys to check out I would think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Neat setup, I agree, market it. Might work okay with large bore rifle slugs too. Simpler than the hollow point designs available now.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I HP'ed some Ideal 260 grainers for my .358 Winchester today.

They weighed 248 grains after drilling the HP.

I got these bullets on a trade, so they're not ideal for HP'ing (wrong alloy) but that won't stop me from experimenting with them. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Pretty neat job on the jig. I like that a lot. Awesome expansion there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts