Shooters Forum banner

advice appreciated

3K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Marshall Stanton 
I have owned a few lever guns but they have long since found new homes.But I am primarily a handgun hunter and am thinking of purchasing a lever gun to occasionally accompany me to the field.Which brand and what barrel length have you guys had good experiences with.Accuracy is my first priority,function second and availability(gun not ammo) and then appearance lastly.Deer,blackbear,and maybe hogs would be the animals it would be used on.Thanks for the info_Oh I guess caliber might help,45 colt.
My favorite run-around the woods gun, (when I'm running, and training hard), is a little M92 Rossi Stainless, 16" barreled .454 Casull, It will take anything from .45 Schofield, to .45 Colt on up to .454 Casull with equal reliability in terms of feed, fire and function. Accuracy is outstanding, especially with a little judicious handloading development for the gun. The short barrel makes for ease of handling, and the less than six pound weight is welcomed, especially when I'm training. (I carry it when running with my dogs in case of bear, wolves, lions or peeved cow moose with calves) With heavy bullets in the .454 brass, it behaves like a moderately loaded .45-70 (exceeds standard factory loaded .45-70 ammo) And gives more than enough gee-whiz to my notion when just loaded well using our BTB bullets in .45 Colt loads for Rugers.

Accuracy is stellar, conisering the sights... still haven't done the drill and tap for a receiver sight, and am using the as-issue Hi-Viz sights.... they are pretty coarse sights, but really shine in the low-light early dawn conditions of my morning run, and hey, I'm not worried about minute of prarie-dog sighting capabilities to 200 yards, at the most I'm looking for minute of coyote to 85 yards and less, so when I can shoot 1.5" groups at 75 yards on command, it does what it is asked!

Too, the 16" barrel carries so nicely, even though it isn't as well balanced as my 20" Rossi 92's, it is the preferred choice to carry on-the-run.

Don't know if this helps any, but you did ask for our preferences.... and that's all this is, my preference for the occasion.

God bless,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.