Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all!

I'll ask for a favor, I'd like to tap the vast knowledge of this forum.

After saving for a spell I'm in the market for a bolt rifle. In past years, I've owned bolts in .223,270, 7x57, .308, 30-06 and even an Abolt in 300 winnie. For some reason or another, I've ended up selling of ALL of 'em over time. Living in the Northeast, there is no need for a super-ultra-belted-short .525magnum killzemdeader.:D This brings me to my longwinded point.
I've deceided to go with either a 30-06 or .308, and I'm really leaning towards the .308. I also shoot the Nationals, and use an M14, so .308 components are plenitful and also mirror my model 100 winchester. I am left handed , so the choices in .308 are somewhat limited :
Browning micro A-bolt www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=035&type_id=026
Remington 700 BDL www.remington.com/firearms/left_hand/700bdllh.htm
Tikka 595 hunter www.sako.fi/tikka/rifles_1.html
Winchester classic sporter LT in '06
www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=026&cat=001C
and of course, Savage.
Now I know fancy don't get game, and the woods can be punishing on fancy stocks and weather can beat up bluing, but there is something "traditional" or "classic" to the blued barrel-wooden stocked bolt.
So Ladies and Gents, which way do I turn? My common sense side says go stainless and synthetic, but then there is laminated stocks.....HELP!

All advice will be appreciated,

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
M141a Well . . . in my opinion you have no choice but to save some more and get TWO bolt actions! One traditional (blued and walnut), and one for beating up in the woods without ever worrying about dings. I like my Win. M 70 in 30-06 with synthetic stock for a "woods" gun. It shoots plenty straight (better than I can take advantage of in hunting positions), and I don't ever worry about beating the gloss off of it. That's one less distraction in the woods.
I've got the "Black Shadow," which can be had for about $340.

Tomp

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Personally I'd go with the Win. 70 30-06. I just like them! As for components, only your brass and dies need be different. You can use the same powders you do in .308. I've found IMR4064 and my current favorite, Varget work great in both!

IDShooter

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
The stainless/synthetics are jumping off the shelves around here. I have kinda been looking with no real intention to buy and I am liking them more and more. The short stroke is nice in a bolt. I think it comes down to length of barrel and short or long action. Then it comes down to money. The Remington seems to have the edge on parts and options down the road.

Glad I am not looking for one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
m141a~~~
I feel your pain.. I too am a lefty, and I too am currently in the market for a new excuse to spend money (as my wife puts it). Browning and Winchester just introduced left handed short actions, in my opinion the best options also. The Browning comes in 2 versions and the Win in 2 versions. The Winchester though, unless you want a WSM, will cost you close to $3000.00 retail. Ouch The Browning micro comes in quite a few calibers, as luck would have it, I want what is not listed, but , such is life. The .308, if you already have all the equipment, sounds perfect. The Tikka is also nice but the rifles are hard to get so imagine trying to get parts if necessary. As to the plastic or not question...I have no use for plastic rifles, just feels cheap.IMHO Acrabondlaminates,com will put your favorite rifle in a beautiful piece of walnut that ALSO is stable like plactic for a fair price. Just a few options.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
Winchester - adjustable trigger, 3-position safety, bolt takes down without tools.

If Winchester had integral scope mounts, it would be perfect.

I like my Rugers also but they are Mark I 77s, with the tang safety not the current production.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Decisions, Decisions....

Thanks to all:

At this point I was all set to go with the Browning, then Mike went and reminded me about Ruger... http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rfpages/m77lr.html Too bad there is no choice in .308 from that Mfg.
Savage offers very accurate rifles, bur their stocks leave alot to be desired. So after purchasing the Savage, then I'm into a McMillian or Choate stock. Or worse yet, acustom built stock....

I'll let you know what I deceide in a few days....
Thanks again,
Chris~
:confused:

·
Banned
176 Posts
I do not know if Kimber produces their 84M for lefties, but if they do it would be a contender in .308. The selling point is that the rifle is scaled exactly of the .308 and its' spawn. The Kimber is lighter and hadier in wood than the competition in plastic. One caveat is that they are still a pretty new little company and some people have quality control concerns, but the engineering and looks of the rifles I have seen are some of the best in factory rifles today.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
m141a,
You know you could make this real simple. A really short, compact rifle chambered for nearly any cartridge you could wish for AND available as a right hand or left hand shooter. Why, its the Ruger No.1, of course. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey M141a,
I was in similar shoes a couple years ago. I am a lefty and was looking for a .270W or 7RemMag. I am a real sucker for wood and bluing. I boiled my choices down to the A-Bolt or Ruger 77mkII. I found a dealer stocking both. Both guns had nice stocks. Obviously the Browning was all glossy but the Ruger stock actually had some figure to it. I reasoned that the Browning was almost too pretty to hunt with. The Ruger looked nice but in a practical sort of way. I bought the Ruger in .270. Picked up an aftermarket trigger spring kit and CAREFULLY polished the trigger and sear with a Dremel and haven't looked back. Ruger triggers are not too good from the factory but don't need much work to get them acceptable. I think you would not do badly to go Ruger if you are willing to reconsider the 30-06.

I will say this, go with your heart. You won't regret it later.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Well lets see what the grab bag has to offer these days! I suppose since I just went through this same selectlion process for my wife a while back, that coming up with the right rifle shouldn't be to hard to figure out, what with all the different brands and models hey.

I will cast my vote for a feather weight Winchester model 70 in your acclaimed .308 caliber, which just happens to have all the goodies already in place on this rifle. You might add to your gun cabinet after buying this little jewel, but I hardly doubt you will sell it for another.

The short 22 inch barrel will make it easy to get around in the woods with during your hunting days. The big claw extractor is tops and nothing really comes close in comparison. I also like control feed action, but your not hunting dangerous game, so that is an add on you don't really need now right?
The next is the 3 postition safety, which is really the only true safety on the market other than Rugers. I know my wife sure likes her's an awful lot, or course it is in a .270 caliber.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the information!

As it turns out, I told my dealer I was looking for one and the next day he called with a Remington model 700 bdl in .308 [lefty] with rings and mounts in a laminate stock for $450. It has a 22" barrel and sling swivels in really nice shape. I'll mount my Nikon buckmasters 3-9x on it and go to town!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i've owned many makes of bolt guns, and the one bolt gun in the cabnet that gets the nod is my old ruger m77 30-06. love that tang safety! mine was made in 1976-bicentenial addition. it's bolt is pretty smooth, and the wood is ok, but she shoots like a dream. i don't much care for the 3 pos. safety, just my opinion.

·
Banned
548 Posts
m141 -

Looks like you made a good choice. For the record and largely for the benefit of those out there with similar dilemmas, try a 270 or 300 WSM at the range sometime and see what you think. I have both rifles and the short case is dynamite with reduced loads. I have several loads that duplicate the 260 rem @ 1.0 MOA with the exact same recoil level, using the same charge weights with faster powders.

I have had the same success with the 300 WSM loading down to 308 and '06. Yes, at full bore these are the same as 270 Weatherby and 300 Win Mag, but the name of the reloading game with WSMs is how well they load DOWN.

The short actions are smooth and fast, and lefties abound in really nice rifles. Brass and barrels will literally last forever operating at 42,000 psi.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya know....
I completely forgot to finish off this thread by posting a pic for all you guys out there.
The laminate stock needs a little inletting to really function right and has to be free-floated, so for now she's in the factory wood.
here's my new [used] .308.

Thanks for all the advice and information!

Chris~

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ruger M77 mark2 Compact

My brother just got a new Ruger .308 compact short action bolt. this is a really nice rifle, only comes in 270/308... blue no SST yet, Action is nice , around 6 1/2 pds
I have the ruger M77 mark2 338 WinMag SST,Complaments of Loader :) of course not a compact or short action,but still sweet, weights 2 1/2 more pounds than the compact, I put a titanium 3200 scope on it, now Im at 9 pds, not something you want to lug around the woods, this is where the butlercreek sling comes in handy, but great for those long shots at a stand on the edge of a field, and plenty of power to boot. good luck with your new rifle. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Fireplug said:
I do not know if Kimber produces their 84M for lefties, but if they do it would be a contender in .308. The selling point is that the rifle is scaled exactly of the .308 and its' spawn. The Kimber is lighter and hadier in wood than the competition in plastic. One caveat is that they are still a pretty new little company and some people have quality control concerns, but the engineering and looks of the rifles I have seen are some of the best in factory rifles today.

Fireplug
Fireplug-
I recently bought one of the 84's in 7mm-08. I extended the stock 3/4" to fit my frame. It is a great little rifle. The trigger breaks at 2.5lbs. There is not a flaw in the rifle except the bolt action is still a little stiff. I fitted it with a new Leupold 4-12x II and talley mounts.
I've only shot three boxes of ammo through it, but it is very accurate. It is very lightweight, which for me is perfect since I rattle, and move around while hunting during the rut.
Its a little pricey but worth it.
Prettiest gun I've ever owned!
That's my Kimber plug-

·
Registered
9 Posts
New Or Old

All the new stuf are real fine no matter what you end up buying but being a righty i just love my OLD 1903 Springfield ser #1212xxxx this rifle was purchased in the sixtys at Butches Market(no longer in buss.) for get this TEN DOLLARS YES TEN DOLLORS, WENT BACK THE NEXT DAY FOR ANOTHER and his two crates were sold out.
This rifle has been through several incarnation's with different stocks and barrels for hunting and now competive NRA matches out to 1000yrds, in its presant form with a Bishop match stock, Ober 26" barrel, a Steve Smith adj trigger and bridge mount for my Moe's rear sight, with a Readfield front sight.
This combo will cut a five shot group at 100yrds covered by nickle shooting Sierra 168 & 175 HPBT Bullets

·
Registered
471 Posts
m141a said:
Thanks for all the information!

As it turns out, I told my dealer I was looking for one and the next day he called with a Remington model 700 bdl in .308 [lefty] with rings and mounts in a laminate stock for $450. It has a 22" barrel and sling swivels in really nice shape. I'll mount my Nikon buckmasters 3-9x on it and go to town!!
I think you made a great choice! I was going to recommend Remington 700 (I have two) but a Rem wasn't in your original considerations. You can not go wrong with a Remington. In my opinion, they have the best actions made today. I think the laminate stocks, while much tougher than walnut, go a bit heavier, I think. If so, you might want to consider an aftermarket synthetic from HS Precision (if you don't mind the stock costing close to what you paid for the rifle in the first place!). I am a recently converted wood-to-synth man, after using these stocks on both my Remingtons. I actually prefer them to wood now. --Mykal

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Myk;

funny how posts from 2003 resurface!
Since getting the BDL, I have free floated and pillar bedded the laminate stock. This rifle, even with it's thin factory contour barrel shoots sub MOA at 100, and I've yet to shoot a group bigger than 1.25 at 200. I am amazed by it's performance. This is, of course, off a bench.
You are correct about the HS stocks, my VS had one and it was incredibly stable. I chose to stay with the laminate stictly due to the look.
It's topped with a Nikon "Buckmasters" 3-10x by 50mm, in Luepy rings and two piece base, which is one of the clearest scopes I've ever used. Personally, I prefer them over the Luepy's....

As far as the weight of the rifle, It weights in, scope and all at 8.25lb. While some may think it a bit on the heavy side, I'm just 41 and still in semi-decent shape [cough-cough....it's down hill now....LOL] and the heft of the rifle is not an issue.

Where I am able to hunt with a centerfire is NH and VT [shotgun only in NJ] and this rifle is almost too much due to the thickness of the brush and rolling terrian. 8 times out of 10 when I hunt these states, it's a lever of some sort with Williams firesights only...the other times are just going with a handgun [VT] or using another .308; a Savage 99, dressed with an old Redfield Bearcub 4x scope.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions, they were, as always, super helpful!

regards,

Chris~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts