Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the group here was hoping to get some clarification on a long range rifle that I was looking at. Here is a link to the rifle in question

MPA 65BA CSR Rifle (Compact Suppressor Ready) - MasterPiece Arms, Inc..

two things caught my eye, this is a 6.5 Creedmoor it says it is a 20 in barrel at 1:10. My understanding is that for accuracy long range you would want 24" or 26" at 1:8. Also is there other option I should look at. I am not shooting compaction. I could go custom all the way but if I could save some money that would be good.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
For that kind of money I would look at a Sako TRG22. Available in .308win, .260rem, and 6.5 creedmoor.

It's a very very nice rifle. Very accurate.

http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-trg/trg-22

I don't know what price range your playing in but here is the TRG in 6.5 from eurooptic.

Sako TRG 22 6.5 Creedmoor Black Fixed Stock Phosphate Metal Finish JRSW182 | SHIPS FREE! | EuroOptic.com - EuroOptic.com

Not much more than that one in your OP. Sako doesn't make any junk. Buy anything they make with confidence.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess I have to ask, if you aren't shooting competition (I assume you didn't mean compaction) why are you looking at a 3000 dollar rifle and just what exactly are you planning to do with it? If you got the coin and nothing better to do with it, right on! I do however think if it was my 3000 an I had nothing better to do with it, I would be buying exactly to the letter what I wanted and not something just off the shelf but to each his own.

·
The Shadow
7,591 Posts
1) this is a 6.5 Creedmoor it says it is a 20 in barrel at 1:10. My understanding is that for accuracy long range you would want 24" or 26" at 1:8.
2) Also is there other option I should look at. I am not shooting compaction. I could go custom all the way but if I could save some money that would be good.
1) This is bit of a combo of questions, so here are the parts. They state it is specifically throated for the the 140gr Hornady's. At best, you are giving up a fair amount of BC with 140 class match bullets with that slow 10 twist. At worst, those bullets aren't stable and the game is over. 8-twist is what is needed for the very long heavies in a Creedmoor, unless you REALLY REALLY want to run over-pressure. It should be fine with shorter and lighter bullets, but then the very long throat will bleed off more gas, and leave you with low velocities. I also Question the maker, as ALL of my SAAMI chambered Creed rifles will very happily hold any 140-class bullet without stuffing the bullet deep. So without saying it, perhaps they short throated it? Sounds like marketing BS aimed at the uninformed to me. Next is the barrel length. There are many rifles where barrel length really means nothing practical. The Creed being one of them. While I'm too lazy to Google-Fu the link for you right now, there was an article published something like a year ago, where they started with a 26" barrel(IIRC) and cut down an inch at a time to something like 16". They shot both 120-class, and 140-class ammo. From the longest barrel, bullets actually sped-up some as it got a few inches shorter. So from a 30,000 ft view: GENERALLY, and this is a very large generality, a longer barrel *COULD* give you more velocity. It will generally be a very minor amount, but more velocity. However that also makes the barrel less rigid, and whip and harmonics will greatly increase. Meaning shot dispersion will make you pull your hair out.

2) This REALLY depends on what you want to do with it. Are you talking "Custom" as in fancy brand name with aftermarket bolt-on parts, or actually doing some work yourself?
As an example, You can find Marlin X7 guns for about $200. Buy yourself a Savage drop-in barrel and VIOLA! $400 out the door.
I have a Marlin XL7 I made into a Creed, I have a RAR in an MDT Chassis, and going to be screwing on a BHW barrel and PT&G nut into a M77 to make it a creed. Really only the RAR looks the "custom" part because of the chassis, They all hit better than I can out to a mile. So just depends upon what floats your boat.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Do plenty of homework!!!! That's a lot of money and you should truly define your purposes for the rifle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lots of nice surgical rifles out there nowadays for 3k, I like armalite,sako,bergara,christiansarms,savage and there are more that guarantee sub moa straight out of the box. My custom precision rifle that I compete with is built on a 98 Mauser action with a 26" lihga barrel in a h.s precision competition stock and a lot more stuff that I had done its a 6.5×284 I got probably 3k in this rifle then another 2k in the glass so the real meaning of custom is very expensive for a rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts