Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new rifle, specifically for hunting through a fairly dense wooded area. I am a novice hunting in the woods, I consider myself a good hunter on open plains and mountain terrain with my bolt actions, but recently i've thinking about purchasing a lightweight hunting rifle semi auto hunting rifle and I need to have it chambered pref. 30-06

Some have suggested BAR, Benelli R1, Marlin 336, M1A, M21

These are all great guns in their own right, but I am looking to see if anyone has good advice from experience. I need a rifle that I could take on a LONG hike, and it is not only accurate on teh first shot, but follow ups as well.

Thanks in Advance!

Nick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize the Marlin 336 is not a Semi Auto, its a lever action... but in the right hands a solid lever action can be highly effective, so semi auto or lever action suggestions would be great...

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
does cali. allow you to hunt with a shotgun..the 336 is a fine close shot 150-200 with leverlution by hornady.. gun.. but another thing you might want to consider is a good shot gun with buck shot in chamber an slugs in the magazine.good luck. slim

·
Banned
604 Posts
My suggestion then is to pick up a used Remington M740 to 7400 Series of long arm. My brother uses an old M740 Carbine (18" barrel) in .30-06 and all of his hunting is in the woods and swamps of Northern Michigan. It's light, fast, accurate and reliable. I carried a Winchester M100 Carbine for years for deer and moose. Deer in Michigan and Colorado and Moose in Ontario, Canada. Incredibly accurate, light, super reliable. It was in .308 Win. You can find them at gun shows, used firearms dealers, pawn shops and on-line at the various auction sites. A LOT cheaper than new too. Either one would be a great choice for shooting accurately and quickly at ranges out to 200 yards.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I use a 7400 in 270 Win. to hunt the woods of Maine. Because my eyes are not as young as they used to be I put a UltraDot 30 red dot on it. It's fast and light, yet will still reach out for that occasional shot in an open field. A 30-06 would perform about the same IMO. Two years ago I shot an eight point buck that was running through the woods at close to 100 yards away. After hitting trees with the first three shots the fourth one turned his lungs to jelly and took the top of the heart off. I don't think those follow up shots would have been possible with anything but an auto. It happened so fast it was real nice not to have to think about operating a lever or bolt. I have heard some people say the Remington autos are not reliable, but I believe it's due primarily to not keeping them clean. Never had any trouble with mine. It wears a black synthetic stock and some type of matte black finish on all the metal, making it pretty impervious to busting brush.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Forget the 7400 series of guns from Remington. You'd be much better off with the new 750. They have been redesigned internally and are much more reliable over the long haul. The gas port is closer to the breech and angled so it gets better gas flow and less fouling. The 750 is also rated for ANY factory ammo produced. I have over 400 rounds thru my synthetic 308 carbine and it has never jammed.

The Brownings are nice guns, but not as tough as the Remington 750s. I've heard from numerous BAR owners about the gas piston bending after a few hundred rounds. My 'smith says he also has had major issues with the Brownings.

The other guns [excluding the 336] you listed are not exactly light weights and cost alot of money. The 750 comes is also chambered for the 35 Whelen in carbine and rifle versions. I doubt you could get a better timber rifle for anything in North America than a semi-auto Whelen.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
From this other thread recently started: http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=63121

You might want to add pump/slide action to your list, just to confuse things ;) If I were to get an action other than bolt/single, I'd probably get a pump. Very reliable, easy to fix/unjam if that ever happens. I had a Remington Model 7600 in .30-06 and it was a fine shooting rifle.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Gunho1954 -

The first tenent of membership on this board is to respect the postings of others and be polite in response. Your blatent and foul language attack on another member will not be tolerated.

You need a 30 day cooling off period.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,107 Posts
Note, I deleted Gunho1954's inappropriate posts, and the responses specific to it. Ditto to what Ken said.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Funny how none of those except the Marlin 336 are lightweight. Anyway, from my experience hunting whitetails in the woods, you don't see them if you are moving.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^^ depends... I used to see them all the time stalk hunting in the woods. I haven't stalked in a good while, though, mostly because I can't hunt nearly as much as I used to. These days, I sit still (stand, ground, or box) almost all the time.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
I'll simply mirror a couple others' opinions here. The BAR is a fine rifle, I've owned several of them and still have a couple at this time. But, they ain't light, IMO. Perhaps the lightweight model with syn stock and alloy receiver will fit the bill for you. In this gun, '06 is the way to go, as it's a long action only. (there are LongTrac and ShortTrac versions available too). I'd also highly recommend the BLR and it is pretty lightweight in S/A form with 20" barrel, right at 6.5 lbs. I'd say go for either the .308 or .358 flavors, both are excellent calibers, pretty much on a par with the fine '06.

I just ordered a Carbine myself to fit similar needs to yours and I chose the new Rem 750 (as already mentioned) Carbine in the powerful .35 Whelen. I used to own a Rem 7400 rifle in .35 Whelen and really liked it, a Buddy owns it now and loves it too. In this semi-auto recoil feels the same as a typical bolt action '06 shooting 180gr loads to my shoulder. I decided to get a bit more compact version and since Browning refuses to chamber the fine .35W in either their BAR or BLR, the 750 is coming to live here.

I found a place with an outstanding price: NIB delivered to your FFL for under $550. That's over $300 off MSRP.:eek: PM if you'd like the ph # or email address.

Good Luck and enjoy your search for a new toy!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
For something completely different...

Saiga 308 semiauto carbine.

Not overly heavy, built on the AK47 platform and reasonably accurate. Magazine fed. Used to be real inexpensive, but anymore, who knows.

Buy an aftermarket folding stock and some high capacity mags and you have a great end of days rifle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a quite note here, The 336 marlin is actually a VERY Modded and "Smithed Up" platform if you look around a bit. What I am saying is, it is not quite as boring as many folks might think. Some of those 336's are actually VERY nice weapons in quite a number of respects. Here lately they have even started producing the deep 6 groove barrels on some of their lever guns. I would drop by Marlin's site and look around a bit, you may be surprised at what you stumble onto.

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,107 Posts
Funny how none of those except the Marlin 336 are lightweight. Anyway, from my experience hunting whitetails in the woods, you don't see them if you are moving.
Yeah you can put a plastic (ugly, I know!) stock and a small scope on a Marlin and have a very light, handy gun for the woods. Even with a wood stock they aren't that heavy and handle well. Scope or no scope, that is personal preference.

I use my 336 in .35 Rem about as much as all my bolt guns put together, just because it is handy to have around in the hunting camp.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not experienced, but you could go with a Handi-rifle. It's just as light as the 336, but you can get it in -06. Mind you the 336 gives you 6 shots too. *Shrugs* Just an idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any particular reason you are really leaning towards 30-06 for woods hunting? Nothing wrong with it at all; I have a Remington 700 in 06. But I use it mainly from a stand & I'm planning on getting rid of it because it's more than I need.

My favorite woods gun while walking/stalking is an old Winchester 94 in 32 WSP. Light, quick, accurate to about 100 yrds. All I need.

I have been considering 1 of the newer Marlins. They have the 308 Marlin Express with ballistics comparable to the 308 WIN & the 338 Marlin Express. Both of these would seem to fit your criteria as well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I still like bolt actions in shorter versions for woods hunting. Ruger Compact, Remington Model 7, Marlin XS7 with shortened barrel, etc. Even the simple Handi Rifle is heavier, due to large diameter barrels.

You'll have much fewer opportunities for a running shot in the woods than you will in open plains, so you really don;t need the rapid fire of a semi-auto. With practice you can cycle a bolt just as quickly as a lever and almost as fast as a pump.

For cartridge you'd do fine with any 308-based casing (243, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, .308)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check out the 92 levergun copies in 45colt(if you handload), 44mag and 454 casual with the 16" barrels. They are 5 1/2lbs and are extremely powerful at close range. I have a 94 winchester trapper chambered in 45colt that is topped with a small shotgun scope and its my go to woods gun. In penetration test when shooting 300gr xtp mag bullets on top of lots of h-110 it gave more penetration than a 300win mag with 180gr core-lokts(which is a stout bullet). I know for a fact the 300gr xtp mag will go end to end on a average size whitetail. As for range the factory irons gave me a 75yd gun but when scoped and loaded correctly the 45colt is a 150yd gun. If your wanting a small, powerful, under 6lb repeater at a affordable price I can't think of a better rifle than a trapper sized levergun. Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts