Shooters Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
That would encourage me tell Remington to go stuff it, sell the rifle to somebody you don't like and get something decent. If 8 MOA is not a factory defect, there is no such thing.
BUT, you can't point to the defect to show them and that's a problem because they certainly won't find anything wrong unless you can draw a circle around it. Remington has no gunsmiths on staff, only former manufacturing and assembly workers. They do no analysis, only switch out parts.

In my opinion the gun needs to be examined by a gunsmith to fix it or to let Remington know what needs fixed. The crown is terrible but that's not the answer.

How much of a PITA is to shoot the rifle? You have to travel and pay money or is it handy? We can run a batch of experiments that'll cost you some time and a box of ammo to try to run it down, if you like.

One thing to check first-- Many years ago, a customer bought a new 700 ADL .243 that was a scattergun. (They always have something preventing them from being the best they can be, but this one was drastic bad). The front tang screw was too long. When properly torqued down, the tip of the screw was touching the right (lower) locking lug. One lick on the belt sander made it a 'normal' rifle again that still needed bedding to shoot its best.

You say it has no internal magazine box to get out of whack and I've never seen an external to know what the bottom metal looks like. I assume you've done a bedding check by loosening the tang screws one by one to feel the 'spring' of a bad bedding problem... Have you run a tight patch down the barrel and detected any loose spots, lumps or oddities? Your '06 is shooting like an '06 in an 8mm barrel.

Another customer, now long dead, complained about his new Model 70 30-06 not shooting well. That was easy. He was loading 25-06 because 'The big ones hurt too bad'. It shot about the same as your rifle.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,441 Posts
Lanjo, we keep giving you ideas but don't have any idea if you've tried any of them.

That rifle may very well be a peach with just a bit too much fuzz.

RJ

Reactions: JBelk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I have not tried much of what you are suggesting. Beyond taking pictures I am worried that if I do something and mark-up the rifle Remington will void the warranty. I would have to slug the barrel to get the diameter. I have done it to a few pistols but never a rifle. I tried determine if the barrel is floated. A piece of paper will travel down under the barrel between the stock about 1-2 inches before hitting an obstruction. I heard Remington rifles have a post near the front of the stock touching the barrel. So I assume this in normal. I am for sure not going to take the barrel off or any other parts to monkey around with it. I don't have that kind of gun smithing experience.

I ordered a rifle shipping case today and will ship it in to Remington to take my chances.

Thanks for all of your help. The picture of the crown and the uneven wear on the back of the bolt lugs will serve as my "evidence" that the factory screwed up the rifle to 8MOA. I hope they just give me a new one.

Best,

Joe Landry

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
NOT to sprinkle ants in your picnic, but are you sure that's a new rifle? I question the back of the lugs as being too smooth and too much polished to be a factory-new gun. They'll send back a form letter with a bunch of boxes checked. I've read literally thousands of them and can explain it if you need it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi JBelk,

Thanks. I will come back on the forum once I get some kind of report from Remington. Probably ship it in a week or so. I assume I wont hear back from Remington for 2-3 months. Once I do I will conact you guys for advice.

Best,

Joe Landry

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
I'll retract those few ants before they bother anybody. I went down to pull the bolt out of a 2010 Model 7 to show you what a 'real' new bolt looked like....and it looks just like yours. ;) It was lapped after bluing just like yours. That's a good sign they were paying attention to a historically poor-quality area.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts