Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Ruger man and have a couple smaller caliber rugers. I am now wanting to get a larger caliber. i really like the look of the M77 MK2 458 LOTT, does anyone have anything to say about this weapon....good or bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What are you going to be using it for and what calibers are you use to shooting? In my opinion, if you're use to shooting smaller calibers, I would think twice before buying a .458 LOTT. Looking at Chuck Hawks Recoil Table, the recoil energy for that round is at 70.4 ft-lbs of energy. For reference, a 30-06 is 20.6 ft-lbs. (according to the same table) What on earth could really make you want to deal with that kind of recoil?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Man that is a lot of GUN. The 458 Lott is a 458 Winchester on steroids. I personally would not want to make a habit of shooting it. My 45-70 and 338 Win Mag are about all the recoil I can handle. But each to their own. It would come in handy if you discovered an elephant in your back yard one morning.;)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Well first of all, I sure hope you don't mind HARD KICKING RIFLES! The .458-LOTT is NOT my idea of a good time at the shooting range period. It will hit you hard and will not say it is sorry either. My advice to you, is to purchase a Past Recoil Pad at the same time you bring home that .458-LOTT and purchase some .458 Winchester mag loads to shoot first, just to get your mind and body ready for the real deal to come down the road. Please, whatever you do, do NOT sit down at the bench to shoot that rifle ok. You stand up and lean forward over a bent knee, so that rifle will "rock you back" into a straight up position. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hmmmmm

.458 Lott. Stout, abrupt recoil.
This what you are talking about? http://www.ruger.com/products/m77MarkIIMagnum/index.html

If so, Ive got one in .416 Rigby.
Couple things.
They are well made.
Nice wood.
Good fit and finish.
Heavy. Mine weighs over 10 pounds with scope and sling.
Attention getters. The guy next to you at the range will drool.
Fire it again and show him the empty shell and he'll wet his pants. :D ;)

You dont need to hot rod it. You will want to handload for it.
And Yes, get the Past Magnum Recoil Shield. Wear it under your shirt and don't tell anyone. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmmm

This what you are talking about? http://www.ruger.com/products/m77MarkIIMagnum/index.html

The above link is exactly what i am talking about. The recoil i am not to worried about, i am a big guy and have shot a friends CZ LOTT quite a bit. Always standing, wouldn't be stupid enough to test that beast on a rest. But like i said i am a ruger man so want to stick with it. Got an elephant and buffalo along with some smaller stuff lined up for next year in Zimbabwe. So want to get the LOTT and get a few rounds down the tube before i go. Like i said anything on this rifle good or bad will be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Hmmmmm

The above link is exactly what i am talking about. The recoil i am not to worried about, i am a big guy and have shot a friends CZ LOTT quite a bit. Always standing, wouldn't be stupid enough to test that beast on a rest. But like i said i am a ruger man so want to stick with it. Got an elephant and buffalo along with some smaller stuff lined up for next year in Zimbabwe. So want to get the LOTT and get a few rounds down the tube before i go. Like i said anything on this rifle good or bad will be appreciated.

I own several M77s from an original tang safety model to two new Hawkeyes in .338Fed and .358Win. Rugers are excellent rifles and perhaps, most important, for your big bore they also have the finest scope mounting system found on any rifle IMHO. Having the rings intergral to the receiver and taking the mounting of a base out of the equation is an excellent way to keep a scope mounting system secure, especially with a caliber that has stout recoil.

For the record, I also own a couple of CZ 550s including one in 9.3x62 and I feel the Ruger system to be superior to CZ's sytem. The Ruger rings are most certainly of higher quality than the CZ supplied ones too. If I was to replace the rings on a Ruger system, I'd look at Warnes first as they are my first choice now for any mounting system. Both my CZ 550s wear Warne rings. One last preference for the Ruger would be that a scope can normally be mounted lower than on a CZ 550 because the bolt does not go as high when worked.

Have you looked at the M77 MKII Magnum Rifle model? They say it comes in .458 Lott. I have an RSM in 30/06 (limited production several years ago) and it is a very fine rifle.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts