Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there may be an inexpensive rifle in 50bmg. Maybe like a ruger no1 in that caliber. I don't think there is so what if you could make a barrel chambered in 50 that would link up with a single shot shotgun.You would have the trigger and hammer taken care of but could it hold up to theressure? A 12 gauge has alot of pressure,can it be done? Also is there a legal way of making a gun.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Maadi single shot can be built from either a kit or built from scratch. A friend of mine in Utah built both of his from plans and both of his guns work very well.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,572 Posts
Reactions: Easternhunter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not sure why I want or wanted alot of guns I've ended up w but a break open 50 bmg seems like it would be neat. And it could be made for less than a barrett. If you could make it a double it would look like a old safari rifle but far more powerful. Also why is it that double barrel rifles are so much money? Also who wouldn't want a50 bmg for under 1000$ provided it wasn't a time bomb.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Double rifles cost a lot because they're made by old time, fine gun manufactures and they're made for a specific market.
The barrels are "regulated" meaning that each barrell is tuned for the projectile to hit the same aiming point.
The .50 caliber machine gun round is simply a super sized 30-06 and I can't understand anyone who would consider firing a (500 grain?) bullet at nearly 3,000 FPS from a shoulder mounted rifle.
Nuff said.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
If you want a break-open rifle that will stand up to a .50 BMG, I would hazard a guess it would end up weighing between 40 and 50 pounds. Not real handy.

Have you ever fired one of them? I'm guessing not. A "light" bolt-action .50 BMG is around 30 pounds, and will still knock the snot out of the shooter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are probably right, to much gun for shoulder fire. But what about double rifles do you think the market for them is to small for Remington or ruger or someone to make an affordable one? Or do you know of a company that makes a mass produced or "cheap" one? I just can't see why they'd be ten grand!

·
Registered
867 Posts
They are 10 grand, often far more because of the hand fitting involved, particularly in regulating the barrels to shoot to the same POI with a specific load. Can't really describe the process, it is boring and amazing at the same time using clamps and wedges to move the muzzles to achieve the desired POI, then soldering the ribs in to keep everything in place. This is all done in a vise, then the sights are installed and regulated. Fascinating process. GW

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are some reasonable "dangerous game" caliber rifles from a lot of manufacturers. If you really want something big and powerful, take a look at one of them.

On a side note... I really think 375 H&H is really about as big as is practical. I've shot one and it is manageable. The 50 BMG's (well, not the machine guns) I have shot have been a novelty for a round or two, but not really practical for anything but really long range target shooting. I wouldn't want one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is a 50 BMG that uses the lower of an AR-15. I think there is more than one company that makes these rifles. The good thing about them, once you remove the barrel, you don't have a rifle, you have a metal pipe. These rifle uppers sell for about $1700.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Several years ago Jim Burnworth from western extremes shot a deer at almost 1000 yards with a 50 and I'm pretty sure it was in bolt action hunting rifle configuration. I have a friend who is a gunsmith and he can sleeve a side by side shotgun up to a 500 nitro express. To the question of "why would you want a 50?" The answer to that is why WOULDN'T you want a 50???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would putting sleeves in a shotgun cost me. That's interesting I've never thought of that. Is that a common thing? Is it safe? I always wanted a double rifle but never seen one at a reasonable price for my budget.also how would it handle extraction? Or maybe u turn it over and gravity will do the trick?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not to long ago on the Discovery channel, Wild West guns built a .500 NE on a Ruger #1 platform. The wood stock actually split when they fired it. That .500 NE has 40,600 psi and the .50 BMG has 54,800 psi. Good luck chuck.

As to the shotgun converted to a double rifle; It would still be safer to have the barrels made out of a solid block of steel rather than some pipes shoved into the shotgun when it comes to a .50:(. Thats just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Converting a shotgun would still cost thousands of dollars to do, it would take a lot of work. If you want something that will knock the snot out of you and whatever you hunting a 460 Weathe The double barrel rifles are just expensive, that's all there is to it. This link might have a used one in your range, but it's a good place to look.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Ruger Number One will kill you with so much recoil that you will not fire it more than once, if you survive the first shot. The 500X460 Weatherby in a Number One would be a fun gun to own, but I would allow all of the rest of you to shoot it before I did it. The Dakota Action might handle the BMG, but a company called Rhino Arms or something like that produces a 50 BMG single shot already.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I got to shoot a 50 BMG not too long ago. Only weighed 35 pounds and had a muzzle brake from he doublehockeystix! Anyone standing off to the side of the shooter about got blown over by the brake but the shooter could shoot it offhand if wanting to. It was a bolt action single shot but only kicked about like a 30.06. Fun to shoot and watch the dirt go flying on the hillside we were shooting into. If you want one without a brake, the owner said they start at 72 pounds and kick a lot worse.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts