Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Speer is still making the African Grand Slam Solid in .416? I can find articles raving about them but I can't find them anywhere; not even on the Speer website.
Is there a suitable replacement for this bullet?
Thanks,

Kudu40

·
Registered
370 Posts
discontinued late 90's. shame as there is nothing even close in my opinion.
occasionally you may see them on gunbroker, ebay or other such sites.

·
Registered
1 Posts
416 ammo

I have tried Federal, Norma, and Hornady.
After trying these brands in .416 Rigby caliber, i settled on Hornady for my Africa Safaris.
The Hornady Dangerous Game Series has performed exactly as advertised and at a price no one else has matched. I have used the DGX to take 2 Cape Buffalo in Mozambique, and a Waterbuck, i also used the DGS to take a Bull Elephant in Botswana.
I have ordered Hornady Ammo from Midsouthshooterssupply.com and Cheaperthandirt.com, they have the best prices for this ammo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hunt with .458 Lott, .458 winmag, and .375HH. I use and trust Barnes Triple x for soft and Barnes solid. I have used the solids (500gn) for both elephant and Cape buff. I was able to recover all bullets and only saw slight deformation on the flat face of one solid and no curvature that you see from some of the other manufacturers. I took a capebuff with my .375 using a 300gn triple x (frontal shot at 15 yds). Buff turned and dropped.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
I have had Barnes X, xlc and a couple of those txs bullets not open up as they should have on game animals. I have had Barnes solids bend.......so no more Barnes bullets.

Speer made a great bullet! Just wish I would have purchased more at the time, hindsite changd a bit. I use Hornady bullets and Woodlieghs too, which are available without a probem finding them to order.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tracer, I was beginning to think that I was the only one having problems with Barnes bullets. What was it you shot that caused their solid to bend? I was thinking that their solid might be the only bullet of theirs that would perform as advertised.

Kudu40

·
Banned
68 Posts
Kudu,
I bought two boxes of 160 grain .284/7mm from Midway last year. Not sure if they have your caliber but you might give them a call. Speer was bought by Blount, who in turn bought Federal. Once that happened, Blount instructed Speer to stop production of their Nitrex cartridges and Federal began to offer them for one year. Then Federal went on to use Nosler Accubonds (in my favorite 280 load). Now they've gone to the new Speer Trophy Bonded tipped bullet. I always had superior results with the GS's even at long range on large game.
Good hunting,
gg

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The tungsten cored Grand Slams are still here

A couple of retired Blount Execs who made and used these bullets, bought the rights and are again making them on a small scale. 458's and 416's for sure, and I can see about the .375's. If anyone is serious, P.M. me and I'll pass their contact info along. But without the economies of scale at Speer, these will be quite expensive, per bullet. I don't know just how much, but they did and still do, fill a niche.

When Federal got their hooks into Speer, they didn't want to compete with the Speer African Grand Slams, as they were already putting another premium bullet in their African Ammunition.

The best part, is that as a custom number, you get to specify where you want your crimping cannelure.

I don't have any financial part of this, but I do know who is making them, and can put you in touch. You might also contact ATK ( Speer) customer service, and ask them, for the new contact info, as these guys did buy the rights, and are above board in their dealings. At least that's what I've been told.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Kudu, I have tried most of Barnes bullets over the last 17 years, the results were never pleasing to my eyes. I once lost a nice bull elk because, I know sure as Elmer loved his .44mag, that .338 250 grain bullet did not mushroom, just penciled right on through that critter. He went over the top of the mountain and I could never get another shot or keep up with his pace. The elevation was over 9600ft. I then decided that I would from that day on, shoot all big game through both shoulders and never look back!!! Yes, I mean NO MORE heart/lung shots period.

I have had great success with Swift A Frame bullets on large animals. I also have used the Woodleigh solids with never a problem. These are my first choice and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws is my second choice.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully this isn't too late, if anyone is interested, I have an open box of African Grand Slam in .416 cal, there are 20 left in there. These are the tungsten core 400 gr solids. Also have 1 cartridge of 416 Rigby left I'm not sure what these would be worth to anyone. Last box I saw was $134, but if you're interested, PM me with offers.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Kudu, I have tried most of Barnes bullets over the last 17 years, the results were never pleasing to my eyes. I once lost a nice bull elk because, I know sure as Elmer loved his .44mag, that .338 250 grain bullet did not mushroom, just penciled right on through that critter. He went over the top of the mountain and I could never get another shot or keep up with his pace. The elevation was over 9600ft. I then decided that I would from that day on, shoot all big game through both shoulders and never look back!!! Yes, I mean NO MORE heart/lung shots period.

I have had great success with Swift A Frame bullets on large animals. I also have used the Woodleigh solids with never a problem. These are my first choice and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws is my second choice.:)
Yes - THROUGH the bulges low on the shoulders when it is 90 degrees on. If more hunters did that way, way less elk will be lost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts