Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest “The Accurate Rifle” contains an article by a PH that contains the following excerpt: Out client could shoot, no question about that…..and I breathed a sigh of relief. Now to some, that may should strange, but many is the client who arrives in Africa, either totally unfamiliar with his new, ‘big game’ rifle or scared stiff of it. Consequently, worst than pathetic shooting is often the result. Abut this I kid you not. In fact, I am not at all that proud to write that one of my clients once took 12 shots at a buffalo with his .375 H&H…none of them were lethally placed, and I eventually had to shoot and kill the unfortunate creature when he ran out of ammo! If you think that is bad shooting, listen to this. A PH friend of mine recently had a client who took no less than 14, fairly rapid shots at a bull buffalo with his .460 Weatherby Magnum. He too than also ran out of ammo …thankfully, well for him that is. By that time he was hemorrhaging freely from both his nostrils and also one ear! A couple of hours later, he also developed two lovely black eyes as a long-lasting memento of his shooting prowess! He was also deaf for the rest of the hunt. Somewhat sarcastically, my PH friend commented that at the conclusion of it all, his client actually looked worse off that the buffalo!

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Yikes! That's a sad commentary.

I know this to be true however. I have a friend who guides big game hunts, and he would much rather see a hunter come to elk camp with a well-worn .30-06 in the guncase, than see a hunter unsheath a new, shiny XYZ Magnum of any description for the same reasons. He claims invariably, the magnum shooter will not have the proficiency with his rifle to execute a quick, or long shot, whereas although some consider the .30-06 a little light for elk, this guide would rather see one well placed standard velocity bullet than three crippling shots from a magnum.

Lesson from all this: Carry a rifle you're comfortable with, then practice, practice, practice, until shooting that firearm is like an extension of your arms.

Wow Dan, I'm not surprised, but you'd think someone spending the kind of cash necessary, not only for the Dark Continent trip, but the tropy fees of a cape buff would go both physically and mentally prepared for the hunt. I know I sure wouldn't lay out that much cold hard cash without being absolutely certain I was ready for the task at hand.

God Bless,

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, the PHs have to nursemaid the hunters even when they can shoot. The hunter that was referenced as a capable shooter also lost his buffalo because inspite of being told that any shot that was not broad side would requite a solid bullet rather than the Norma bullets he had handloaded, he switched back to the Norma when the PHs weren't looking and they never found the buffalo that he hit....perfect shot, but no penetration and a wounded animal they couldn't find.

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,443 Posts
How do you get a cut on your EAR?????? Or did his eardrums blow out (most likely a muzzle brake on the .460, I would guess)?

Words fail me....

Heck I've at least SHOT my .458 a couple of times at the range .... figure that pig hunting helps keep me in shape year-round also. Like Marshall says, if I got a chance to go to Africa, the range would have to run me off at closing time every night for a month.

What's sad is that it sounds like the guy was a handloader, and could have come up with all sorts of reduced loads for practice.

I would really like to know what scope the guy had, too! Nice lesson there in eye relief.

Hint: 1.5x5 Leupold gives you about 5 inches .....

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,022 Posts
I recall reading not long ago that the PH's in Africa had a higher opinion of American hunters as compared to the European ones because the US hunters seemed to have practiced more and were more familiar with the chosen firearm.

In either case, it is indeed, a real shame for someone to fork over the costs of such a hunt and then either not practice or be so afraid of their rifle as to be totally incompetent with it. The switching of ammo is another dumb thing. How often do we read about penetration tests and the hardiness of African game?

I've been on enough guided hunts with a very mixed bag of fellow hunters to know they run the gamut of experienced know-it-all's to the tryo on his first hunt, but willing to listen and learn. Yes indeed, the ol' boy that shows up in camp with a well used 'ought-six is much easier accepted than the big eyed nimrod with the latest in flashy new mignums with the astromonical worthy scopes clamped on them. Have received the dubious glances of the outfitters myself when showing up with a wildcat cartridge or custom rifle - that is, until there was hair on the ground. That always seemed to assuage things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts