Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a new section under HUNTING for African Hunting?

Prices for some African hunts are more reasonable than guided hunts in lower 48, Alaska or Canada.
I want to hunt Cape Buffalo in the puckerbrush before I'm too old to survive and enjoy the adrenaline rush.  What do you folks think?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm all for it! One of the most interesting (and substantive) threads we've had here in a long time was on dangerous game hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stranger...

So far it looks like my interest is in S.W.Tanzania.  If I'm spending the bucks , I want the area that has the best genetics for truly large buf. My other  area right now is Botswana.  Still doing my research.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me,have been saving for the last couple of years for the same thing.
Endgame,have you looked at Mozinmbek{?} I understand from a couple of PH's I talk to that may offer ture bargins and have good size buff,they all say the Selous is the place though for the largest buff.
For them I think I would have to have the Winchester super safari in 458LOTT, as I can get it left handed,if the wait was to long i would take my Weatherby in 416

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey...
My intention is use a lever action, yet to be built, on a new 1886 Winchester EL in 45/90 (hot handloads) or 450 Alaskan, with ghost ring type sights, Magna-ported with a 1" Decelerator pad.  I'll also take my 330 Dak with 1.5x5 Leupold.  330 with 230 Fail Safes, '86 with 430 grain cast with gas checks.

The best deals I've seen are in Tanzania.

Endgame

·
Registered
250 Posts
Stranger,every PH I have talked to always states make sure your rifle has both,so I will set it up with thw Warne detachable mounts carrying the new Burris 1,5x5 safari scope,and a peep sight for back up.
Endgame I like he idea of the 45-90,but you mite be just as well served with it in the 45-70 and shooting either Buffaloe Bore , or Garretts loads.
You should have heard the conversation I had when i was trying to convince the PH to let me bring my 45-120.

·
Registered
250 Posts
He told me he wasn't taking some silly American on a hunt with an old single shot Buffaloe gun,couldn't convince him it was up to the task

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leadbutt...

I am not interested in an Africa only, 10+lb. rifle. I live in Alaska and such a piece would for all its days  hanging on the wall. A powerful levergun would be useful up here. It seems that for me, the heavier the gun, the less I use it, or shoot it, and I'm not a collector. Properly loaded, the 45/90 will add 150fps to buffalo bore 45/70 loads, the 450 Alaskan should exceed 2100fps with an over 400 grain bullet... getting close to 458 win balistics.  

Don Allen of Dak Arms has shot a buffalo in Africa with his 330. I asked him about the 375 regulations. He said he was carrying his 330 hunting plains game and saw the bull he wanted... and took it... over 100yards , not agitated. I asked what if something happens...and s--- happens...what then? Response...the guide always carrys big medicine.
The 330 with 230Failsafes @ 3000fps is more powerful than the 375HH.

I agree with the optical sight backed up with iron sights of some sort. My 330 wears a Leupold 1.5 x 5 in Talley mounts, but also has ramp front and Talley reciever sight.  It's a M97 light hunter barrelled action in a Brown Precision stock.  Weighs 8#3oz with no real effort to make it light. Pretty versatile rifle.  Were I to take a big bolt gun, it would be configured the same way , probably in 416 rem... magnaported to reduce muzzle jump. Happy Trails.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Don't know any thing about the 330,but sounds close to my 340 Weatherby in performance.From wjat the guys in SA,tell me it should work fine,as far as taking a buff with it,make sure you check the regs real well,some of the countrys are now requiring a rep from the game commision to goalong and they have to aprove of any animal taken,don't leave your self open for some ungodly fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leadbutt...
Your 340 and the 330 are virtually identical, with the 330 being based on a shortened 404 case. In Barnes manual, the only difference seems to be that the 330 is tested with a 24" barrel, while the 340 is a 26". I also have a 300 Dakota on a model 70 SSClassic action that is quite accurate ... a virtual ballistic twin of the 300 weatherby. That's my light...(sheep)... rifle. Its comfortable to shoot at 7#2oz - scoped...Brown's Pounder kevlar stock.
My intention is to use the lever gun to go after the buff. That meets the 375 rule and should be effective out to 150 yards. I've also thought about a scout scope on the lever gun. What do you think?...
I've been applying for a bison permit here in Alaska for 21 years now with no luck in the draw.  I'm arranging now a hunt in the NWTerritories to hunt Wood bison. I'm going to get that done before going to Africa. That's a winter hunt, right up my alley.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Endgame:

Sounds like you've got some adventures ahead. About a month ago we had a thread going on dangerous game that you would proabably find interesting reading. Take a look. It generated well over 100 replies.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Endgame,I am a great believer in the scout scope set up,I have a couple of lever guns set up like that. If your going to use the 45-90 for buff make sure you find out what the "FPS" regs are for that country.and use the hardest soilds you have.in one of my 45-120's that has the 1 in 18 twist I have used the Speer tungston 500 grain soild,with a little over 110 grains black its driven it at 100 yards through a rail road tie and four six inch thick phone books.When you start reloading the 45-90 give Garrett a call he can pass on some help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts