Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was wondering what everybody thougths are for african plans game hunting i shoot a 300 Win mag now lets here what u would use and a 180 sst horandy superformance ammo lets here it guys what would u use not going just thought i would get some in sight and a good thread going

·
Banned
742 Posts
I'd probably pick a 338 win mag for the typical plains game, and a 458 lott for 3 of the big 5. (I think the 338 would be fine for lions and leopards)

That or be one of those jerks and get a 600 overkill and have my professional hunter sight it in. LOL I think he'd be mad about that!! Then pull out the sighted in Lott after he was done!! LOL

·
Registered
497 Posts
Depends on the "plains game" you're hunting, but a 300 Winny would work well on many non-dangerous animals. Though personally, I would opt for something like a Barnes, Swift A-Frame or bonded bullet over the SST.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been to South Africa on a plains game hunt. I carried a 7mm Rem Mag and 175 Nos Parts and my buddy took a 300 Weatherby and 180 Nos Parts. Our PH carried a 7x57 with 175 bullets. Those animals are not impressed with velocity ,penetration is the ticket. Their vitals are located farther to the front of the body so A PH will ask you to shoot IN the shoulder. On an Impala I was asked to shoot an angle shot thru the left hip into the right shoulder. The 175 did that. If I ever get to go again I'll take my Dad's 30-06 Rem 725 (like hunting with him again,sorta) with 200 grain Nos Parts,A-square,Trophy Bonded,bullets of that ilk. When I asked our PH about rifles he said 270,308 up heavy for caliber. see ya, Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been to South Africa on a plains game hunt. I carried a 7mm Rem Mag and 175 Nos Parts and my buddy took a 300 Weatherby and 180 Nos Parts. Our PH carried a 7x57 with 175 bullets. Those animals are not impressed with velocity ,penetration is the ticket. Their vitals are located farther to the front of the body so A PH will ask you to shoot IN the shoulder. On an Impala I was asked to shoot an angle shot thru the left hip into the right shoulder. The 175 did that. If I ever get to go again I'll take my Dad's 30-06 Rem 725 (like hunting with him again,sorta) with 200 grain Nos Parts,A-square,Trophy Bonded,bullets of that ilk. When I asked our PH about rifles he said 270,308 up heavy for caliber. see ya, Bill
IIRC, Jack O'Connor used a .270 for all but the most dangerous game while his wife, Elanor, carried a 7x57 and by the time their safari was over, she had impressed everyone with her ability to down everything she elected to shoot. Most African game can be easily taken by medium caliber cartridges while only the largest and most dangerous require the heavy artillery. The fact that the PH carried a 7x57 is a pretty good indicator that the medium calibers are effective on plains animals.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
When, if, I go I'm taking a model 95 Winchester 405 and a model 1886 Winchester 45-70.

Jim

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
A buddy of mines neighbor took a 7mm Rem Mag and shot quite a few plains game. I can't say what grain or load he used but it did well for him. On another forum, a PH in Africa uses an '06 with 165 TSX's and had done very well. A 300 WM should do well I'd say.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
My plains game rifle is a sporterized Mauser in 9,3x62. Your 300 WM would be good. If me I'd go with the 200 NPT in a 300 WM. Your shots will be under 200 yds, so you would want something that will make two holes and a good blood trail.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I've never been. Booked a trip in Namibia in 2009 but postponed twice now for various reasons. Planned to take my 338 WM with gemsbok, kudu, and impala on the list, although if the PH has a 30-06 on hand for use, I might do that to avoid the gun transport hassle. If the 338, I plan to take 230 gr Failsafes.

If eland is on the list, you might want to read alyeska338's hunt account on the African hunting forum. Well, think it's worth a read anyway, even if eland isn't on the list.

Edit: Adding alyeska338's hunt account: http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=23826&highlight=zimbabwe

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I myself like a big diameter bullet, at least a .338 caliber using 225 grain bullets. Also the .35-Whelen is a hum-dinger as well and I have used such with very good results. On one hunt, I used a .416 Remington mag and it was lights out for every trophy animal we came across in the bush. I used both 300 and 350 grain bullets making penetration clean through on bluewildebeast at 200 yards and an eland at 150 yards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts