Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went deer hunting in North Platte, NE this Monday. I shot 2 good sized doe's. The rifle I used was a CVA Wolf 50 cal., iron sights. I sighted my rifle in using 60 grains of Pyrodex RS powder, with a 295 grain Powerbelt aerotip bullet. Groups were about 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards.

1st doe was shot at 150 yards, bullet passed entirely through the doe, it was a heart shot. She took 5 to 6 steps and went down.

2nd doe was shot at 100 yards, lung shot, just behind the heart, doe took a few steps as well and went down. Shot passed completely through.

They did the job.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Since both were pass through results, were you able to determine what kind of expansion occurred, if any? The reason I ask is that is a fairly light charge over a fairly heavy bullet, so I was wondering if they expanded at all? Hard to argue with the results, though. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Congratulations on the deer harvest. Nice shooting. A lot of people push a powerbelt too fast. You on the other hand took the other approach and with a pass through at that distance it sure worked. Way to shoot!!!

When I deer hunt with a heavy conical like a 460 grain, I only load 70 grains of 3f in my Whites or 80 grains of 2f Triple Seven in my GMB. I get excellent accuracy and would trust it to take deer easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since both were pass through results, were you able to determine what kind of expansion occurred, if any? The reason I ask is that is a fairly light charge over a fairly heavy bullet, so I was wondering if they expanded at all? Hard to argue with the results, though. :)
A little expansion(exit hole seemed to be a little bigger). But, they seemed to do the trick. If they had hit a rib on the other side maybe they wouldn't have went all the way through? I don't know, its hard to say.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice shooting Krahe !

60-70g of powder is perfect for the 295-348g Powerbelts!;):)
As mentioned already, when they are pushed to fast = 80-120g of powder/2-3 pellets, that's when they start to fragment and disintegrate on impact:mad:

Keep'm Big And Slow, that's THE Way To GO:cool:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had the same problem with a .45 cal. T/C G2, using 95gr. of t7 and a 195gr. PB:bullet frags and no pass thru. I asked on this site and the good people said to sloow down the bullet. I went to a 50cal. and now I shoot a PB 295gr. with 75gr. Goex FFg, and I get excellent accuracy and 2 big holes. I still won't shoot scsapulas, double lung shots for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts