Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
421 Posts
I use them to take care of the bird feeder destroying gray squirrels in our back yard. Lack of noise is key to keep the neighbors from getting nervous. I have not had an issue with them sticking in the barrel yet. Hope I never do! I also have some CB shorts and CB longs, and you're right, they are a lot louder.
I do have a Gamo 177 pellet gun that I've killed a few squirrels with, but it's not as accurate as a 22 with Super Colibris. Noise level is about the same though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what do they cost per 50 ..i think leverite likes them right well ,,if memory serves me .. slim
I have found them for as low as $3.50/50 at some of our local shops. Others charge more depending on where you get them. I have never looked them up online or in bulk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to say that other than black powder they're the dirtiest cartridge I've ever used. I'd bought one of those New England Arms single-shot 22's just to shoot 'em in. The NEA 22 was one of those that opened like the old single-shot shotguns. I got the gun so I could look down the barrel after each shot to make sure ther wasn't a bullet stuck in the barrel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
super quiet colibri

I haven't used them yet .But I would like to try them .
I see that "Cheaper Than Dirt!" has 500 rnd bricks of Super Quiet Colibri for $20.89.
www.CheaperThanDirt.com , (800)421-8047.

But I would like to get me a box of 50, just to try it out in my M-39A.
I'll have to look around an see if I can get a box locally. Maybe ,Bass Pro Shop?
I have tried CB longs and like to use them on them evil starlings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
colibri

i think they are great for pest control, shoot them out of an old bolt action rifle with a 3-9 scope on it,any thing over 30 feet you can watch them in flight,plus they will kill larger critters (skunks,*****,rabbit,cats...) if hit right out to about 25-30 feet.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have not had an issue with them sticking in the barrel yet. Hope I never do! I also have some CB shorts and CB longs, and you're right, they are a lot louder.
I guess I should not have bragged like this! I recently did have one stick in the barrel of my CZ Lux. CZ has a tighter barrel than any other 22 I've seen other than my Anschutz. When I pulled the trigger on this one I knew it didn't go anywhere because of the sound being much quieter than normal even. It stopped about 6 inches from the end of the barrel. I took out the bolt and tried pushing the lead out from behind but no dice! So, I put a rag in the chamber area, stood the gun on the stock, and poured a little Hoppe's # 9 and some CLP down the muzzle and left it for 2 days. I was then able to take a cleaning rod and push it right out from behind. To my surprise 2 bullets came out! So evidently the first one stuck but sounded normal, then the next one was really muffled because there was already a plug in the barrel!
Lucky for me there was no damage at all. No bulge in the barrel. However, if I had fired a normal round behind the first one I'm sure it would have ruined the barrel at the very least!
So, lesson learned, no more Colibris or CB caps in the CZ! I went back to my Henry H001T and CCI CB Longs for my back door gun.
I thought I would share my story as a word to the wise, and hope it prevents someone else from doing the same thing with possibly a much worase outcome.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doh...

I bought about a half dozen 500rd bricks not realizing there was only primer for the propellant.

Thats what you get for not reading the box when ordering in bulk.

I have found them to be fun for plinking at the range in my revolver, I am hesitant to use them in a rifle for fear they may not clear the barrel.

Very accurate out to bout 50 feet for what they are but like a prior poster said, they are very dirty to shoot. After about 100rnds had to run a brush through the pistol just to load the rounds, build up was pretty quick.

I did try them in a bolt action and they were the quietest rounds I have ever shot.

Good for domestic varmit control

·
Registered
354 Posts
Man these little bullets are fun!!!! The grandsons little crickett rifle shoots the stew out of them, they are THE urban warfare bullet for squirrels and small varmints.My old .22 Benjamin pump air rifle is louder than these bullets.......

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I must have some tough squirrels in my neighborhood. I have dispatched a few squirrels with these, but frequently I have made good shots and the squirrels just run off as if the bullets bounced off. These have generally been about ten yard shots from a rifle.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I really like these for indoor shooting out of my Marlin 39. No barrel sticking problems so far, and notably quieter than my GAMO pellet gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts