Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Indeed there is. It used to be considered to far north but now they are found all the way up in Canada and we have had them in Wisconsin since I was knee high to a hiccup. I have stood still in my Wisconsin back yard and had a possum come out of her tree and sniff the ground looking for bugs I assume and walk right over the top of my boot. Tickled my giggle. My brother in law woke up one night while camping in the Adirondacks with my sister and found a possum not 2' from his head sniffing around inside a bag of potato chips. He had a talk with my sister about leaving food out in the woods and was just glad it wasn't something with bigger teeth.

·
Banned
40 Posts
That surprises me. There are plenty of possums in NY, but even just north of Oneida lake you never see one (even a road kill). They just arent built for the cold. I think that following several mild winters some may spread upwards, but when a real banger comes along, the population gets killed off back to its more down state range.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I've seen them in southern Maine numerous times, so they must be hearty enough to make it through the winters here.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,712 Posts
We can mail you some if there's a shortage. Pre-flattened if desired :p :p :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just saw one here in northern NH last week. I was talking a walk down an old abandoned train track. The track went through a real swampy area with a lot of trees - mossy treas and pools of water. The bullfrogs were croaking like mad, so food-a-plenty for possums. Big ol' mamma possum crossed the tracks up ahead of me. She took me by surprise, because they truly are a new species up here.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There probably out there, maybe you just haven't seen them, or there not as plentiful. the turth is that the adirondacks doesn't have as rich soils and vegetation as souther new york state which has longer summers and more hardwood species... maybe thats why there isn't as much road kill. I'm sure there out there but maybe not as plentiful.

·
Registered
801 Posts
They're here in the Northern Adirondacks. They're pretty scarce, though. There's a number of things that kill them off, including eagles, hawks, owls, coyotes, coydogs and WINTERS. I actually haven't seen one in the last five years. I worry more about skunks making home under the camp.....

Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
We have them here in NYC. About twenty years ago when I was living in Jamaica, Queens, I'm coming home from a club at about 3am. As I'm locking up my car, a possum come traipsing up the street. Likely from the park next to where I lived.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Western Ny (Buffalo) get plenty of cold. Possums have been here for at least the last 70 years that I can remember. Lots of them killed. they are slow moving and nocturnal, so cars take their toll.

Rocky soil isn't condusive to ground insect, slugs, gribs...so you probably will not find many in rocky hills like AP area. In valley floors, yep.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
When I first moved to Tennessee there weren't any armadillos or fire ants either, but they are here in abundance now. It is amazing how fast these things can migrate.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Sixty years ago while living in PA, I heard they were gradually expanding their range northward due to the warming climate (now called "global warming"), but global warming is too slow as I'm still waiting for the alligators, which I understand are better eating. :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sixty years ago while living in PA, I heard they were gradually expanding their range northward due to the warming climate (now called "global warming"), but global warming is too slow as I'm still waiting for the alligators, which I understand are better eating. :D:rolleyes:
They are.;)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
BGrump (post #2) says they are in Wisconsin. Trappers I know in the UP of MI say there are none there, YET.

I moved to mid lower MI in late 69 and drove 30 mi to work. It was 6 or 7 years till I saw a dead possum. then I saw two in two days. Still not many around. A couple COLD winters take a toll. Son found one in our garbage can in mid 80s-tail was mostly frozen off.

One newspaper editor back in the 70s blamed the expansion on deer baiting in the hunting club areas. They put humengous piles of bait out. The editor called it garbage. Said a possum could crawl into the pile and eat all winter. I believe that to an extent.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
We have plenty to go around, seem to have a death wish crossing the road.

Why did the chicken cross the road???
Tp prove to the possum that it could be done!

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
Hmmm. I've always thought a possum had better sense than to go North.....

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
And all the IQs of all the possums and possums on the half shell gathered together in one number would likely only have two digits. No guile, no camo, no cute way of killing things or hunting prey. Just stumble around and nibble on stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts