Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a gas piston air pistol be ok for close in pest control and accurate at say 20 to 30ft. Talking about mostly rodents on ground and in trees. Pecan trees

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,778 Posts
Is it BB or pellet? My Bengamin pump handgun shooting .177 pellets has been a good pigeon persuader for years shooting them away from the bird feeders in the back yard at 30 ft range.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If you are going to use an air pistol for pest control, i suggest that you use a .22 cal pellet gun. The heavier .22 pellet does a better job dispatching the critters.
Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a Sig Sauer MCX (Co2) .177 pellet gun for ridding my garden of squirrels. I put a red dot on it and can hit a squirrel at 25 yards. I use the rounded pellets, not the pointed ones, so unless I get a head shot they don't kill the squirrels, which is fine for me. They seem fairly intelligent because once they hear my garage door opening they scatter, but some seems to hang around. When hit, they sometimes jump 4-5 feet into the air and do a somersault. One thing is for sure, they come around a lot less.

Four years ago I decided to catch them in a safe have-a-trail trap and once caught I would drive them 15-20 mins away. I kept an accurate count, and believe it or not, I relocated 62 squirrels over the summer. Just to make sure it wasn't the same squirrel coming back, I spray painted one (and boy was he pissed), and I never saw him/her again, so my relocations did work.

Buy the Sig, it's a lot of fun to shoot, and the MCX is a heavy metal rifle, not a plastic toy. I bought mine on Amazon, and you can buy them w/ iron sights, a red dot, or a scope. For around $200 I got the iron site version, complete w/ pellets and 2 Co2 canisters (about 150 shots per canister).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts