Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago, I bought a Romanian-made WASR, the semi-automatic AK-47 clone. It was an impulse buy, no serious intentions for the gun. The importer installed a fairly crisp trigger group and that ugly plywood stock. After a while, I installed a TAPCO "dark earth" folding stock furniture set on the thing. In my ineptitude, I destroyed the old stock taking it off, so there is no going back.

The rifle looks a lot nicer now, but when I fire it, it stings my trigger finger. A lot. What should be a nice plinking rifle is now something I can't stand to fire a full magazine through. And it may be a contributing factor to being wildly inaccurate.

I don't recall the sting from before I changed the stock, and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed. I don't think it was this inaccurate, either. I assumed that it there was something weird about the stock, some kind of flexing or a harmonic created in the stock and receiver.

I got a catalog in the mail yesterday (from TAPCO) which advertises a G2 trigger group. One of the attributes mentioned is that it will "eliminate the painful trigger slap common on other designs." So is this a common problem with AK triggers?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's a common problem and an easy fix. Google "ak trigger slap fix". It has to do with the way the original parts are modified to make them semi-auto only on many of the kits.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,125 Posts
The easiest way to do it involves some fileing, and basic understanding of the trigger group. If this seems foreign, DON'T DO IT!! Get someone who knows AK's to do it for you.

The problem comes from sloppy tolerances in the casting of parts. I've had a couple WASR's, some did it, some not; and for different reasons.

Take the machine cover off and work the action with your finger on the trigger. The trigger hook that holds the hammer, is getting "feedback" from the bolt. Do a tad bit of fileing to make it not so tall, and the bolt won't hit it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts