Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Been gone for a while. Just wondering, is it still possible to get a AK47? I know there is no way to get it in Ca. But is it legal to trade in other states?

The reason is that the more I know about AK, the more I think it is one of the most perfectly designed fire arm, and the more I want one for my collection. Thanks

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yes, there are all sorts of AK variants available in most places. As mentioned, check your state and local laws, but in most still-relatively-free locations getting a brand-new AK is no problem. I don't know that I would call it the perfect design -- for me, too heavy, poorly balanced, clumsy to carry, and only marginally accurate -- but there's little doubt it's one of the most reliable, and when it comes to a rifle designed for combat, that is a big deal.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Toshi,

If you really want an AK, get an Arsenal Saiga. SGL20 model.
I spend some time over at AK Files and Robinson has enough kinda sketchy things said about their builds that I personally wouldnt feel comfortable sending them $600 or so for an AK build. Most comments have been about canted front sight bases and sights, canted rear sight bases, both of which make hitting what you are aiming at, a pain in the butt.

The Arsenal imported Saigas are Russian built for the American market. They are nice rifles. Very nice AKs. Tolerances are tight for an AK and Ive found mine to be very reliable as well as the parts that can be istalled with a cant to them are installed appropriately straight and level. It takes both Saiga factory mags as well as surplus mags so inexpensive mags are no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ditto on the brand new Russian Izhmash Saiga's. I own the saiga in 308 and in 223 and these are awesome. Remember your buying a brand new russian manufactured rifle its not someone's butcherd rework. I was never interested in the ak's nor the 223 round but with the saiga being a brand new affordable rifle and its offered in 223 i figured why not.

I first took the saiga in 308 to the north country hunting and after the hunt we all shot the saiga in 308. It impressed everyone who shot it. I like them in there orginal sporter condition mainly because there different. The 308 and the 223 with 16" barrels look awesome side by side too.

These are more accurate than there ak brothers too the russians did say they were going to be more accurate and they did it. My saiga in 308 will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100yds benchrested using surplus south african 308 ball ammo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They have several models being sold in COMMUNIST California now. They have taken the pistol grip off and fixed the mag. CZ makes one and there are several biult here in the US but I was told the CZ is the best quality. Good luck with your search.

·
Banned
503 Posts
The CZ isn't an AK although it does shoot the same ammo.

No AK this: the Czech Sa vz.58
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_55/ai_n31326578/

The Czech foray into unique military cartridges came to an end in the 1950s when the Soviets insisted on the "unification" of military ammunition within the Warsaw Pact countries. Still, rather than adopting the ubiquitous Soviet AK-47, Czechoslovakia soldiered down an independent path, creating a series of prototype assault rifles culminating with the Model Sa vz.58 going into production in 1959.

Chambered for the 7.62x39, the Czech Sa vz.58 shares not one interchangeable part with the AK-47 even including its similar-looking, 30-round magazine. The differences between the models are distinct. The Sa vz.58 features a fast, inline, striker ignition system rather than the internal hammer of the AK. In the Czech model, the gas piston is separate and not attached to the bolt carrier. The low profile receiver is milled, not stamped and riveted, yet, the Sa vz.58 is almost 2 pounds lighter than the AK. In fact, the Czech's were so concerned with weight they used an unusually lightweight alloy, rather than steel, to fabricate their magazines.

Gone is the AK's noisy, awkward, safety and dust cover. In its place is a handy, wing safety just aft of the trigger. Nor are the guts of the fire control system exposed on the right side of the receiver as they are in the AK. The bolt cover and bolt carrier of the Czech model completely seal and protect the action from the elements. A nice touch is the left side of receiver is milled smooth, so as not to irritate the back of a soldier when carrying the rifle slung.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Toshi, AK & AR types are available in Kali now. Mag capacity is limited to 10rds and must be removable with a "tool", which is the tip of a bullet (there is an actual tool, but for all practcal purposes a bullet works). The example I saw that the dealer was preping for the buyer said the guy paid $1200 for the new Kali acceptable model. Possesion of greater than 10rd mags can be a felony for each mag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
T-Bone nice to hear about the Czech model.
In New Zealand we have the Saiga in 308 and 223 and the Norinco SKS in 7.62X39. Like most guys who are afixed with AKitis they are fun to shoot. Because we have deer, goat and wild pig high numbers in New Zealand and open season all year and no licence needed (Sorry USA but we do have strict gun laws so we are even then) Both guns are used by many hunters because they are reliable and function well in tough conditions. The Saiga is best choice if you want open tops (alpine) hunting using 308 yet I love my SKS 7.62X39 for bush hunting for goats (They are in mobs of 5-20) yet the gun regulations permitting only 7 rounds for Catergary A licences. Yet this is fun enough when ranges are from 50-150 yards in bush country. Best gun for pigs is the SKS as pigs favour fern-scrub with only about 5 yards clear vision. Most Kiwi Pighunters use dogs and a knife and the gun is carried only for last resorts. In this respect the Chinese Norinco SKS is a great choice because it is cheap @ US$320 while the Saiga goes for US$490
Like most guys who love AK-SKS arms the ugly rugged appeal is an attraction in itself.
There are 2 barrel lengths for the SKS being 20" and 16". I have the 16" which is fast swinging in bush country on quick running pigs.Several other similar arms to the AK 47 in NZ are the NHM-90 in 7,62X39 and the MOLOT VEPR .223 but I don't know much about them as they cost 4 times the price of the SKS and that keeps them out of my Gun Safe..
Another interesting Miltary arm being sold in New Zealand and used for hunting is the Chinese copy of the Gerand M1 by Norinco know as the Norinco M14 in 308 calibre. Its a real nice military looking rifle and with a better hunting calibre and ammo in 308 instead of the 30-06. I have mounted scopes on all my AK-SKS variants using 4X40 short models so the shells done deflect off the usual longer length scopes. In this way my SKS is good for Sika and Fallow Deer out to 200 metres. Goats are good with a scope yet it is a bit of a liability for pigs except for the first aimed shot. After that pigs scatter in all direction and quickly too. It is a bit scary when you hear a big tusker heading your way and grunting angry like. All the more panicy when your clear vision is about a yard and you have to duck down to look into the fern tunnel in which he is heading straight for you. Yes sir it's adrenaline all the way and the big boar is full steam ahead and you're down on all knees waiting for a sight picture. Here its those open battle sights of the SKS that hold the day. Thank God the AK 47-SKS is the top of the list in reliability Amen. Can you imagine the feeling when a 200 pound boars stops and dies between your thighs inches from your heavenly parts. Yes Sir amen to the reliability. Accuracy at that range is not even an issue. Amen to the reliabilty and that stubby 7,62X39. That's one big reason alone I don't have an AR 15. Amen again:)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Funny you should mention a Saiga for pig hunting. Was considering one of these a while back for a truck gun for the deer lease, as we can shoot feral pigs year round also. Never could find one with a 20" barrel in either of the .30 cal chamberings so let the idea go. Seems to me a 16" .308 would be LOUD......

Best leave the bayonet on for short range pig encounters!!! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
the local Dunhams sporting goods store has a whole shelf of them, mostly Romanian.

I too am a Saiga guy. I have one in .223 that I combined with a Bulgarian AK74 parts kit to build an AK7 clone and with Lake city surplus or Winchester it will group under 2" @ 100m. I also have a converted 20ga for home defence and had a 22" .308 with a posp scope and ATi Drag stock for a while but sold it. It would hit anything I asked it to out to 300m, Of all the AKs I've owned the saigas are by far the most accurate and best built, and the Norincos have been by far the worst.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am a Saiga owner. I have the Saiga in .223 since I already own an AR. Great fun to shoot. And it's noteworthy as was previously mentioned, it's a NEW Russian gun, made in the same Izhmash factory as the original AK47's. It appears to be in a modified AK74 construction. It won't take AK mags, you have to get mags made for the Saiga or modifiy other mags, which can be done. Great shooter, and I intend on doing the trigger group mod that everyone's been doing. But I want to take my time with that so I do it right, the 1st time.

I like it so much I want to get a Saiga 12 gauge as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.