Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No permit needed to carry concealed guns
IN 90 DAYS: Governor signed bill, praising it as a Second Amendment victory.

By MIKE CHAMBERS
The Associated Press

(Published: June 12, 2003)
JUNEAU -- Alaskans will no longer need a permit to carry a concealed weapon under a bill signed into law Wednesday.

In signing the bill, Gov. Frank Murkowski lauded the work of the Legislature and the National Rifle Association in protecting the Second Amendment rights of Alaskans.

The bill would adopt the so-called "Vermont Carry" law that allows residents to carry a concealed weapon without a special permit. Vermont has no laws against carrying concealed weapons, the governor's office said.

In Alaska, someone who applies for a concealed handgun permit is required to take a handgun course certified by the state Department of Public Safety.

Rep. Eric Croft, D-Anchorage, said he sponsored the bill out of frustration with continually fine-tuning the state's gun laws.

"I object to the government putting a precondition on that constitutional right (to carry a weapon). I'm presumed to be a responsible citizen until proven otherwise," Croft said.

House Bill 102 does not eliminate the state's concealed handgun permit program. The governor's office said Alaskans could still apply for a permit in order to carry a concealed weapon in other states or to be exempt from background checks when purchasing firearms.

But the bill, which takes effect in 90 days, would allow Alaskans who can legally carry a firearm to carry it concealed without such a permit.

It does not change prohibitions against carrying firearms into courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters.

About 17,000 concealed handgun permits have been issued in Alaska, said Greg Wilkinson, a spokesman for the Alaska State Troopers.

The measure will aid gun owners particularly in rural areas where handgun safety courses may not be readily available, Croft said.

While the measure won broad support among lawmakers -- more than half in the 60-member Legislature signed on as co-sponsors -- it did have its detractors.

Sen. Con Bunde, R-Anchorage, was among 10 lawmakers voting against the bill. Bunde said current Alaska law requires someone to understand their legal obligations and demonstrate proficiency before receiving a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

He said people often misuse handguns because of a lack of firearm education and training.

"I am a strong gun advocate and very concerned that every time someone misuses a gun, particularly a handgun, we lose in the court of public opinion," Bunde said.

Also signed into law was a bill to require the state Department of Public Safety to recognize all concealed carry permits issued in other states.

The gun bills were among nearly a dozen new laws signed by Murkowski during a ceremony in Wasilla

·
Registered
360 Posts
ALASKA...you just gotta love it!

Just another great reason to move and live in Alaska.

·
Banned
739 Posts
OK, those of you living in Alaska learn me sompin.

I know it's kinda cold up there, and I know I can't drive there from here with my guns unless I have an aqua car, but thats all I know about Alaska. Oh, I know you got white bears and mooses.

For a 50 YO dude that has no special skills, and has done light delivery driving all his life, what kind of work could be found. (Nothing heavy, back ruined in a fall.)

What is the weather "really" like. Is is snow all year around, or does it melt sometimes?

Are there boonies to drive out to and go shooting, or is it "restricted" to private property and gun ranges? I'm not really a hunter, I just like the great "undeveloped" outdoors.

Educate me somebody.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alaska is what you make of it. We do have snow on the ground for about 5 months here in southcentral. Southeast would have less. Temps are not that bad in the winter until you get up into the interior. Shoot, the midwest has colder temps than southcentral Alaska. Summers are nice, highs in the 60-70's for the most part, the interior can get temps in the upper 80's and bounce around 90 every now and again. We usually get our first snow in late September, early October, then by the end of October we get snow on the ground that stays for the winter. Breakup usually occurs in April.

There are some places that you can just drive out and go shoot, but most folks shoot at the ranges that are near where they live.

The land status is something like this, of the 370 million acres or so:
66% Federal (National Parks, Wildlife Refuges, National Forests, etc...)
21% State of Alaska (about 105 million acres, roughly the size of California).
12% Native Corporations (Private land, about 44 million acres)
The other ~ 1% is available for private ownership.
Doesn't matter where you live in Alaska, millions of acres of wilderness are never more than 10 or 15 minutes away.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My folks moved back to California from Alaska when I was an infant, so this information is second hand.

They think that people's perceptions of the cold of Alaska as being quite funny, since just the next "city" east of where they are now in sunny CA is much colder during winter than either Seward or Juneau where they lived in Alaska. They say Kodiak where they were for a short time can have very "raw" if not truly cold weather.

I will make it back soon and convert some of this knowledge to first hand.

Fireplug

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fireplug. sounds like your folks are close to Truckee. When ever I mention going to alaska, people tell me how cold it is up there. They havant been to Truckee in the winter, where a lot of times it is recored as the coldest place in the nation.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
A. J. if my bones can take the winter, I may be just making that very move to Alaska (will try it for a year) you mentioned. It seems as though Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, and Kansas are still some of the very few states that are being very hardheaded about the effects of the "Right To Carry Law" I do hope they realize the benefits of those states that passed this law.

·
Banned
97 Posts
My dad is always after me to come home (North Pole, Alaska..not too far from Fairbanks) but I moved down south when I turned 18 years old.
My sister, aunts and cousins want me in Anchorage.

Congratulations on the new law !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Alyeska can you update on the current status of the CCW law here in Alaska? Is the 90 day wait past?

As I understood it the state would still issue CCW permits for those who completed the course etc.. so they could take advantage of the reciprocity agreements and carry in other states. However Alaska was no longer requiring the permit to carry here.

At one point there was also talk of Anchorage and maybe other towns requiring the Alaska CCW permit to carry inside city limits even though state law would no longer require it. Have you heard anything about this?

Thanks.

Eric

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eric,
I don't have the answers right now, but I will look into and report back.

The state will still issue the CCW permits. The Municipality of Anchorage is still holding firm to their demand for the CCW to be legal. I'm not sure if the state will try to react to that or not. Just guessing, I would bet that Juneau and/or a few of the Mat-Su towns would also try to enforce CCW requirements for their burgs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
CCW Status ?

In the wording you quoted, it said "Alaskans" and "residents", are non-resident visitors, and new guys(cheechakos) afforded the same ability to carry without permit?

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
malamute,
I don't know the specifics, but will check into it for you. Looks like I forgot to respons to Eric G's request.

The Municipality of Anchorage still requires a CCW permit, and is standing firm on that in the face of the State's ruling.
One good thing, statewide, is Alaska is reciporcal with other state's CCW permits. If you have a permit for carry in another state, it is a valid permit in Alaska.

Asia,
Let's keep it clean, please. This is a family forum.

Thanks

·
Banned
73 Posts
what did i say that is not clean? i just said i want to do it (shoot gun, carry gun, enjoy gun) like eskimo.

u need to keep your head out of a gutter my friend. j/k

·
Registered
98 Posts
Alyeska thanks for the info on MOA. Do you know of any other cities requiring the permit? Juneau or Fairbanks? Thanks for your help.

As for wanting to do it like the eskimos, I've heard the hunt polar bears with .22's and .223's and laugh at us white men with our canons. I don't have any desire to do it like an eskimo ;)

Thanks for your help. Have a merry Christmas, I hear you folks down Girdwood way are going to have a very white one!

Eric

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric,
I don't know about what is required in any other places, I just never got around to checking on that, my apologies.

I will try to find out something in the next few weeks.

Girdwood has been getting hammered with the snow. We just sold our place there, after 5 years of the daily commute, enough was enough. The drive really isn't that bad, but it does take 2 hours out of your day, every day. I only missed work 5 days in those 5 years due to the weather. All three came when the avalanches closed the highway a few years ago. There were a couple of times that I was late because of whiteout conditions though.

Merry Christmas to you and yours

·
Registered
472 Posts
mouse-gun

I helped butcher a doe mule deer a buddy shot with a mini-14 .223, she ran about a mile and a half. we found only tiny fragments of bullet in her. I know some people get away with stunts like tiny bullets on deer etc. but a 30/30 is a MUCH better killer on anything, much less suffering of animals, much less animals getting away only to feed the scavegers.

·
Registered
472 Posts
bears

Your info doesn't say where you live, (or hunt) lots of 124gr bullets may not do the job as well as a few heavy, deep pentrating ones. as far as bears go,.... not being able to see well enough after being hit with a large caliber bullet? I've heard of several instaces of grizzlies not showing any response (other than a very bad attitude toward the shooter) after hits from .375 H&H rounds. only several well placed hits broke the skeletal stucture down did they slow , turn, or stop. not a job for light caliber bullets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is the deal with the free check every resident gets every year as part of the oil royalties? Another great reason to move to Alaska.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Laredo,
I don't know how much longer that is going to last. Basically the cost of living is very high, here. The state taxes each barrel of oil pumped down the pipeline, and a portion of those taxes are set aside for the people of Alaska. Each year, based on the amount of oil pumped, the price of North Slope crude, how the money is invested and its returns, each resident is issued a dividend. Similar to dividends issued by corporations. While it is appreciated, it does not come anywhere close to offsetting the higher cost of living expenses.

Have you ever noticed when order something from mail order and they give a price for shipping, they always exclude Alaska and Hawaii?

Like most other states, we are seeing a deficit in our spending and revenues. I don't think it will be long before the dividend is tapped to fill the gap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new here and please forgive me if this has been covered before-

Myself and and two other boys are planning a fishing trip to Alaska this summer, and will be driving from Georgia. Question is, what is the best way to get your handgun into Alaska? Do you mail it to a gunshop? I know you can't even think about crossing the border with it unless you want to make Canada your permanant residece (in prison).
Does the Canadian Gov't make exceptions for cap & ball revolvers, percussion, or flintlock pistols? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts