Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
My gosh Alyeska, those are some awesome antlers. Does the Fairbanks area have a super bull gene pool, or is that a function of hunter demographics? I noticed that most of them were from Fairbanks, along with a couple from Coldfingers' town of North Pole. Thanks

Later the next day......I guess my brain wasn't working too well last night. I now realize that the towns indicated are likely where the hunters live - not where the moose was bagged. Please forgive my brain fart.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainer,
There are some monster moose all over this great state. Some areas are better than others, but nearly anyplace hunted has moose in the 60" category. The areas around Fairbanks, Tanana, the Koyukuk, Kobuk, along the Yukon and Porcupine Rivers and others do indeed have great outsized moose, but it's not limited to there. 2 or 3 years ago (I think), just across the inlet from Anchorage, almost within sight of city in the shadow of Mount Susitna, a guy killed a big bull with an 86" spread. The Copper River basin also holds some monsters. The south side of the Brooks Range holds some unbelievably large moose, as does the western Alaska Range, and the northern Gulf of Alaska from the Copper River eastward to Icy Bay. It's a great big state with some great big animals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts