Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon,
I unearthed an All American Lyman 6X Perma Center scope. It was packed away in a chest for sometime. It appears to be in excellent condition, no dents, scratches, smudges or anything. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and the lens covers were in place. It has a mount attached to it; no markings on the mount, possibly if I can figure out how to attach a photo it could be identified. I would like to know how to determine it's age, 6X what, the mount use, possibly how to zero adjust it, what 'perma centre is all about.......
I've been trying to find Lyman on the internet, but it appears they are out of the scope buisness.
If someone could lend a little knowledge I would appreciate it. Ok, I don't know how to attach the photos.........

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Welcome. If you can get a photo on one of the free hosting sites like PhotoBucket, someone can walk you through the rest. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Good afternoon,
I unearthed an All American Lyman 6X Perma Center scope. It was packed away in a chest for sometime. It appears to be in excellent condition, no dents, scratches, smudges or anything. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and the lens covers were in place. It has a mount attached to it; no markings on the mount, possibly if I can figure out how to attach a photo it could be identified. I would like to know how to determine it's age, 6X what, the mount use, possibly how to zero adjust it, what 'perma centre is all about.......
I've been trying to find Lyman on the internet, but it appears they are out of the scope buisness.
If someone could lend a little knowledge I would appreciate it. Ok, I don't know how to attach the photos.........

Here's some info that should help you. I own a couple of Lyman All American Perma-Centers in 3X. One sits on a Win pre '64 M70 in '06 just because it seems to belong there. The other sits on a Savage M219 30/30 and also looks the perfect partner. Both of mine are good clear scopes with pretty precise adjustment systems (1/2" per click, I think). Perma-Center means (meant) that the crosshairs, when adjusted, still remained in the center of the shooter's FOV.

QUOTE:

Lyman All-American Perma-Center
Lyman had been in the gunsight business for decades before it manufactured its first scope in 1928—with tooling and rights from Winchester Repeating Arms. The first Lyman Targetspot scopes appeared in 1934, the famous Lyman Alaskan hunting scope (with 7/8-inch steel tube) in 1939. A decade later came the 26mm Challenger scopes. The Lyman All-American series, with one-inch tube, arrived in 1954—a bit early for this 50-year list. But it got a Perma-Center reticle in 1962 and became, in that form, a flagship line. Fixed-power 2.5X, 3X, 4X, 6X, 8X and 10X models had very generous eye relief. Variables joined the group in the 1970s. A 60-year-old .270 in my rack has a 2.5X All-American that guides bullets into tight knots despite its age and low power. A 6X on another Model 70 still excels on the prairie. Wayne Van Zwoll

·
Banned
48 Posts
I have a couple All-American Perma-Center's in 10x, and happen to have an original box and the instructions for one, which covers their whole line. Here are some specs on your 6x:

Length -- 13 7/8"
Weight -- 12 1/4 oz
Windage and Elev Adjustment click values at 100 yds -- 1/2"
FOV at 100 yds -- 20 ft
Optimum Eye Relief -- 3 1/4" - 5"
Factory Pre-Set Parallax - Corrected Range Optimum -- 150 yards to infinity

"In the Perma-Center System the image is actually moved across the reticule. Thus the reticule is always centered in the field of view and never interferes with the sight picture"

Re-Zeroing the Perma-Center Reticule

"Your scope is pre-set at the factory to provide perfect centering. However, if the windage and elevation screws have been turned since the factory setting, they can be re-zeroed by first unscrewing both the elevation and windage screws counter-clockwise until they come to a stop. Then turn each screw clockwise four full turns. This will provide the zero or centered setting."

Tnhunter, FYI, according to my manual, your 3x has 7/8" adjustments per click.

Hope this helps/is informative.

Dan

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Tnhunter, FYI, according to my manual, your 3x has 7/8" adjustments per click.

Hope this helps/is informative.

Dan

Thank you Dan!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts