Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to dip my bucket in the well of knowledge. I have recently(this month) decided to give casting bullets a go. I am strapped for cash, and am looking for a good all-around bullet mould for my Ruger #1, and eventually a Sharps replica in 45 Cal. I would prefer plain based, and a weight over 400 grs. I will use it for everything from punching paper, to trying to poke holes in moose and bear. I really appreciate the info I have gathered in the past, as I shall appreciate any info gathered here in the future.

"I said I never had much use for one, didn't say I didn't know how to use one."

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your going to cast bullets for BPCR's you cannot live without a 500 gr. gov't style and a 535 gr. Postell. Postells are good for hunting and perfect for long range. Go with a 1-20 alloy at first and maybe try a softer mix for hunting loads. Your weights will go up with the higher lead content but not too bad. Just make sure you get the proper top punches, nothing worse than a gov't style with a ring around it or a Postell with a flattened nose, lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The best .45-70 mould for me has been Lyman's 457193. Cast fairly soft, for use with blackpowder, it weighs about 420 grains.
Mike Venturino praises it as a game bullet. It is also a fine target bullet out to about 500 yards (the maximum range I've plinked with it in my reproduction 1873 Springfield carbine).
The 457193 has a wide meplat on its nose. Not great for bucking wind, but good for putting down game within its 150 yard game-shooting limitation.
Its brother is the 457191, which weighs about 300 grains.
Both bullet noses use the same top punch in sizing dies. The 300 gr. lead bullet is good for deer and plinking. Years ago, I took some 300 grain lead bullets, sized them down to .452 inch, and used them in my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Colt.
That was long before extra-heavy bullets were available for this caliber. I never shot game with it, but it sure hit stumps and gallon jugs full of water with authority.
The 457191 420gr. is also accurate in my 1895 Marlin of 1977 vintage, with its Microgroove rifling. In this rifle, it must be fairly hard (BHN 15 or higher) for best accuracy.
It sure is cheaper than buying jacketed bullets just for practice.
I use the 457193 for most of my .45-70 shooting. I've never found a need to get a similar weight bullet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts