Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what you casting experts consider best bullet weight for these calibers if best compromise between speed and penetration is desired.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In the 454 I like the 325gr Lbt Lfn or 340gr Wfn @1450-1500 fps. As to the 475 or 480  the 400gr Wfn @1150-1200 fps.  recoil is not to abusive with loads mentioned and it takes a few FEET of meat to stop em.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It seems hard to go very far wrong with these calibers.  In the .454 my favorite bullet is a 360 WLN at about 1400 fps, in the .480 I like a 360 gr. WFN at about that same velocity.  If really large stuff is on the menu then the 400+gr LFN would be the way to go.
Good shooting
Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
It would seem that from all the reports we receive from customers, that the .452"-340g LFNGC would be the best all around bullet in the .454 Casull, in game performance, accuracy and managability.

In the .480 Ruger, we intentionally set about to make a bullet specifically for this gun and cartridge, just as soon as the specs were released to us, and the 355g LFNGC bullet that we offer has proven to be an excellent weight bullet in terms of velocity and terminal performance.  Accuracy has been stellar, and customer reports have been glowing in all respects so far concerning this bullet for the .480 Ruger.  It seems to be an ideal "step-up" from the factory 325g loading without being as brutal as the 400+ grain bullets in this chambering.

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall Stanton

·
Registered
50 Posts
Winchester's web site shows they are offering the .480 in their model 94 with a 20" barrel. It will be interesting to see how the .480 works out of this combination. I would expect the longer barrel should add a couple hundred feet to the velocities.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts