Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been loading 81/2grs of Unique in my 44Mag. and my 45Colts.I am using 250 gr. swc`s in the 44 and 265sin the 45s.They both shoot great and are not tiring at all.This gives me one setting on my old Lyman55 which I don`t have to change.The 45 is getting about 850 and the 44 about a 1000fps.I keep some heavy loads in reserve but for every day shooting the above load suits me fine.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Over the years I have shifted to Herco for this type of shooting, but I wouldn't walk away from an 8lb can of Unique.

I think this class of load is perfect for keeping your eye sharp without developing a flinch. And the life of a quality HG is dramatically increased here. In my younger, dumber days I was facinated with MAX loads. And you can wear out a good HG pretty fast with really hot loads, for what.

·
Banned
28 Posts
That's the same load I use

I use the 8.5 grain load of Unique for all of my 45 Colts.
I've found that 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 231 in my 45 acp, with a 200 grain or 357, with a 140 to 150 grain swc works well for both.
I'm ready to order eight pounds of AA#2 or the data powder equivilent to see how it works in the Colts. Anybody using that powder?
Jim McCool

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
Jim,

If you're getting the AA#2 Improved from GIBrass.com, that's what I have. It works well. I use the same powder charge for both the .44 Mag & .45 Colt, 7.5gr. with a .44 240gr. LSWC or 7.5gr. with a .45 255gr. LSWC. Both loads yield about 1050fps in a 7.5" revolver, both with standard primers.

I'll note that the .45 Colt load is well over SAAMI spec for Colt SAA & replicas, but is easily handled in my Ruger Blackhawks.

By the way, I settled on the powder charge by where the point of impact was a 25 yards, didn't really care what the velocity was, just wanted something that had about the same point of impact at 25 yards as my hunting loads. Just worked out that the powder charge was the same for both.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
T Man

TMan, you are exactly right about the max loads.Youth is a good ways behind me now and I shoot for pleasure and accuracy with a good measure of comfort thrown in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts