Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

So I know the debate of the 308 verses the 3006 has been raging on for ever, so don't worry I'm NOT going to quite ask that question. That said I'm still deciding on what caliber to purchase of the two.

So for all those Blaser synthetic owners please let me know your views. I'm going to purchase the Blazer R8 professional success monza, given the weight of this gun and the various other factors putaining to this particular make/model of gun, would that change someone's decision on what caliber to purchase?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Whatever the rifle I would go for the 30-06 every time because it has much a wider range of abilities to the 308Win. It really is a 308Win on steroids.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sales on the up..

Thanks - that's what I thought, everyone goes on about the versatility of the 30-06 however most deer stalkers have the 308 in the UK. Apparently the 3006 sales are massively on the up!

Is it worth getting a sound moderator on the 30-06? I can think of some cases I would need it and other cases I would not, worth getting two barrels?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Blazers

Both the 308/ 30-06 & 300 win mag are the same 30 cal bullet. so IMO for the sake of true range in flexability if thinking of 2 bbl's, I'd choose 308 & 300 win mag. In a short bbl ultralight it's 308 all the way, in a 24" bbl 7.5 lb+ gun 30-06 all the way. Under 300 yards there really isn't much you cant do with the 308 vs the 30-06. Theres a reason most snipers pick the 308. + the 308 is a NATO round.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nice looking rifle, Congrats.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Personally, I can't see why anyone would get a .308 if they can get a .30-06. Doesn't make sense to me. You mention a "sound moderator"--I'm guessing that is a silencer. A .308 and a .30-06 don't have enough sound difference for you to notice. I would certainly say no, can't see much use for a silencer in a sporting gun, but each to his own.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Where They ARE Allowed, a "Sound Moderator" on a hunting Rifle of the calibers under discussion is Very Desirable to save the hunters hearing and to reduce the neighbor's noise complaints.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,535 Posts
While ignoring the "my dad can beat-up your dad" garbage, YES to the silencer!
And yes, I know, I know; but if sir Hiram calls his invention that, so will I.

If you can't see the use on any rifle, you probably don't do a lot of shooting.
Especially for those shooting at ranges under cover, like found in MZ5 & Kdub's part of the world. NOT causing your neighbors fillings to fall out, is courteous. They greatly reduce felt recoil, and that typically lends itself to people wanting to shoot more. More rounds fired means more practice, and more practice is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I own and enjoy both the .308 and .30-06. For reloading and general shooting, I prefer the .308 a bit. Less powder, less recoil. For a hunting round, the .30-06 is clearly a better all around option. It's more effective with 180 grain bullets and with 190, 200, 220, it's clearly better. Accuracy between the two is a wash and don't let anyone on any forum tell you any different. My two 06s out-shoot my .308. The next guy who owns both may have the opposite experience. But it is simply a gun to gun variance, not a clear cut caliber advantage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts