Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is no such animal as an all purpose gun,but I would like to find maybe a "multi-purpose" shotgun. I'm not much of a wingshooter, the only shotgun I own is the scoped and rifled 12 they make me use for whitetails here in IL. A buddy of mine took me turkey hunting this spring, just as a spectator, but it is now on my must do list. Been practicing with my calls but only when the wife is gone.
I am also part of an outdoorsman group from my church, we get together at least once a month to shoot,fish, etc. We were thinking about trying to rent a local gun club's range for shooting a few clay pigeons, sounds like a lot of fun, but since I don't have a shotgun it kinda leaves me out. Could probably borrow one, but you always have to give those back. Here's the problem, I'm on a pretty limited budget so I would like to find a gun that might work okay for both activities. I realize they are on different ends of the spectrum but any info from someone knowledgeable on the subject would be a great help.

thanks,
James

·
Registered
302 Posts
Fuz, you might look at the mossberg combo. It comes with two bbls, a 28in and 20in, both are ported, the shorter bbl has rifle sights on it. The receiver is tapped for a scope also. This way you have a deer rifle and can shoot clay pigeons with the same gun.  The short bbl is also nice for home defence if it should ever arise. Mossberg's are not top of the line but they seem to hold up fairly well and dont cost a home loan to buy one, Hope this helps.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
282 Posts
Something else you might consider. You said you have one with the short barrel, so save up about two hundred bucks, then start checking out the pawn shops in your area. You should be able to find a Remington 870 Wingmaster for less than that. They are great guns and can be found relatively cheap. I've used one for shooting clay pigeons many times. Remember, the older ones barrels won't hold up to steel loads. But for trap and upland game there just the ticket.
Joel B

·
Registered
302 Posts
Joel, dint think about getting a second gun like the wingmaster. We have a 20ga at the shop where I work and been thinking about it real hard...$200.00 but think I can get a few bucks knocked off...We just got in a Parrazi(sp) a guy special ordered from the factory, $9.000.00, plus shipping hdl, and registration. Came in a heavy duty alum. padded case with 3 diffrent combo. locks. (I cant remember where my car keys are most of the time). This gun should be able to load its self, hit the target, retreive and cook game for that price. Must be nice. My 2bbl mossberg will do for anything I want it to.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can't imagine paying that much for a gun. That's 6 trips to Alaska for me. But I guess if you can afford it, why not. I guess that's why I drive a 94 Chev pickup instead of Land Rover!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
New Remington 870's are between $200 and $250, for the 'express' model.  Might find a used one a little less.

They have a dull matte finish and fairly plain (if not downright ugly) wood.

But you get Rem-chokes which will handle steel just fine, and the dull finish is good for turkey hunting.

You can also get a fully rifled barrel, which means that you can sell or trade the other gun, if it comes down to needing more money.

Used Remington barrels aren't too hard to find, if you want a short one for home defense, just buy a cheap one and take a hacksaw to it, about 19" - 20" makes a good balance in my opinion.  Just keep it over 18"!!!!

Some people will look down on their noses shooting skeet/sporting clays with a pump, but I've shot a lot of targets with one.  It makes you a much better hunter to shoot clay with your hunting gun.  And once in a while you'll embarass someone with a high-dollar shotgun, that makes it all worthwhile!

My thoughts on an all-purpose gun....

<!--EDIT|MikeG|June 15 2002,22:25-->

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have one of the "Express" 870's. Put Wingmaster wood on it. Looks kinda funny, but it's better than the plastic. The best part is out shooting the "Pro's" with their high dollar scatter guns!
Joel B

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mike G, I found ifin you dont have a rib sight on the bbl a pipe cutter works (strighter than I can  cut with a hacksaw), a flat file and a round file and you can dress it up real nice. Years ago I had an old H&R single shot I use to take to the trap range, got where I could make a lot of the high doller gun boys upset, gave the gun to one of the kids years ago and he still shoots it.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
14 Posts
someone said they have a 870 express with wingmaster wood on it, the only difference between the 870 express and the wingmaster is weight and wood. also i just bought a new in box(20 year old) wingmaster 870 never fired it has 3 inch mag capability but has no chokes or threads for choke tube. how would i go about threading the barrell gor a choke tube. i shoot thap and skeet with it and i have beaten shooters who have shot on a league before. the other day i beat a gentelman with a 2 thousand dollar over under with my pump

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
You can send the barrel off to someone to ream & thread the end of it for choke tubes. Depending on the actual dimensions of the barrel and how well centered the hole is in the middle (yes they vary quite a lot) you may be limited to specialty aftermarket chokes. Colonial & Tru-Choke are a couple of manufacturers, I have choke tubes from both.

I'd suspect that it will be more cost effective to just skunk around for a new production barrel that will take the Rem-Chokes. Except for the 'special field' model, an 870 barrel is an 870 barrel (given that the chamber lengths are the same).

Look also for aftermarket barrels, such as Hastings. Make sure if you get one, the tubes are rated for steel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All Purpose Scattergun

Can't fault the other suggestions, but if I had to have only one scatter gun, it would be what I keep for home protection. 20gage, 3" Side by Side, cylinder & Cylinder with minimum legal length tubes. Makes a great quail gun, does in a pinch for skeet, handles slugs well, doesn't weigh a ton, easy to carry etc. Many years ago, I went to this gun as an all around when I couldn't afford anything else. Used it for quail, phesant, rabbit, etc. and it did everything I asked of it within reasonable ranges which was under 30 yd max with 25 being even better. Probably shot more game with that gun than with any other I have owned. It started out as a 28" full and mod that I was lucky to run better than 50% of shots with. When an old gunsmith recommended short cy & cy, I thought he was nuts until he had me borrow one that he had sitting in the corner. Shot it for a couple of weeks, and it was like I couldn't miss. Took his gun back, took hacksaw to mine-end of story. Hope this helps!
Paul

·
Registered
871 Posts
Gentlemen,

I am relatively new to the shotgun scene, as I have started hunting on an Army Post that allows shotgun, or black powder, only.

I found and purchased a Mossberg 500 combo with a 24 inch slug barrell, and a 209 primed blackpowder barrel- which was actually news to me. I mounted a scope on this gun, which actually took a couple of tries, but that is another story.

Turkey season shows up, and I need to get myself a smooth field barrel, and I found that buying another mossberg 500 with a 28 inch accuchoke was only forty dollars dearer than buying only the barrel.

After the season, I bought myself a 18" cylinder bore, just because it is the thing to do. Price was half of a Remington.

So, I have two shotguns, one scoped and one slick, four barrels and three chokes, and my total investment was just under 6 bills.

This shotgunning is pretty good business, I'm having a heck of a good time.

Steve

·
Banned
548 Posts
Traditions imports a gas semi-auto 12 GA that I hear shoots well and is very reliable. MSRP is $399 so you can get them for $350 or even less.

I am in the market for their home protection version with 20 inch bbl and 6 round capacity. Does anyone know about these turkish guns?

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
If you don't mind shooting a pump gun, then I will throw the 870 Express or the Mossberg 500 your way, these are usually under the $300 dollar range. Winchester has a fine pump gun also in that price range.

If you like the over and under guns.......Well there is one imported Russian gun in 12 or 20 gauge that can be had for around $400 dollars, anything else is twice or better in the price for the over & under.

·
Banned
367 Posts
I have a Wincheter 1300 combo with 26" V/R barrel with 6 chokes and a slug barrel with rifle sites that is great! A Briley extrafull choke is great at turkey shoots! **** I bring home more meat at turkey shoots than I ever did shootin doves! and I keep the short rifle slug barrel on it when it sits by the dresser at nite! th fish :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts