Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Taylor told me a long time ago, of his want of a compact single action in 45 ACP, as a carry gun. He really got me wanting one, but been putting it off for over a year, and considered the FA 97, with 45 ACP cylinder. But after adding up the numbers, it was just too much for my project budget. But thanks to Jack Huntington's help, ideas and donation of parts, I decided to go another route, and invested less than half what the FA 97 would have cost me! I promised to post photos on this site, but couldn't figure out how to do it? I did just sign up at http://communities.msn.com/HHI812/_whatsnew.msnw
and hopefully you can see the photos there. Not sure on exact weight, but was told it was under 2 lbs. Gun started as a SS 5 1/2" SBHK. Jack added a FA barrel, and FA front sight base, and contoured both, and barrel cut to 3.8". The stainless frame was modified to a flat top, and metal taken out at various places, to reduce weight. Loading gate is serrated, to ease opening gate. The alloy bisley grip frame was round butted, and action worked over, and tightened up. Cylinders are free wheeling when gate is opened. The .44 cylinder was line bored to a tight 45 Colt chambering, and the .357 stainless cylinder, was line bored to a 45 ACP, and back of cylinder recessed, to head space the 45 Auto Rim case. Both cylinders were bevelled. A Belt Mountain Sheriffs pin was added, and a little depression on the bottom of the barrel, so the lock screw wouldn't bend the cylinder pin, when tightened. When I first looked at a cut in the ejector housing, I wondered if it was a mistake? But I soon found that if I pushed the ejector handle in the cut, I could slide the cylinder pin completely off! Have shot only a few rounds through it so far, but that .45 ACP cylinder, is very accurate! But with that short barrel, even a little sight error will show up. With the Thad Rybka cross draw holster, and its light weight, this will soon to be a constant companion. Thanks again Jim, for giving me the bug for this project!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts