Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished mixing and cleaning approx. 160 lbs. of casting alloy. I use wheel weights, have accumulated about 500 lbs of them, and intercell connectors from industrial batteries, have a 55 gal drum full, 1500lbs ?. I use a dutch oven on a turkey/fish fryer burner. It holds 60 lbs. Melt the WW and flux, remove dross and clips until pot is half full. Add connectors until pot is full, add 1/2 pound tin and flux. This alloy water hardens nicely when cast. The connectors are not pure lead but I don't know the exact composition.

Being a bit impatient tonight I tried firing up the weed burner from Harbor freight. It is a wand that hooks to a propane cylinder. Directing the flame into the pot melted everything in about 3 minutes instead of 20 minutes with the burner alone.

I try to do the bulk of my casting in the winter. The summers here are so humid it is a chore to shoot some times.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bigfoot,

Just a warning, those battery connectors may contain cadmium which can be quite toxic in vapor form. Be Careful.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the warning, it is well to heed all advice. These are not internal battery parts that are exposed to acid. Cadmium is used for the plates that actually carry the ions to store/release the power. These are the connectors that are used on top of the battery to connect the cells together. As the cells are replaceable these can be removed and replaced as needed.

I have my blood tested for heavy metal evry physical. After thirty years it is still negative, a good idea for anyone who casts extensively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts