Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I rarely see anyone mentioning fixed powered scopes any more as everyone normally talks scopes with high magnification and big "light gathering" lenses. Can I be the only hunter who still enjoys the simplicity of a fixed power scope on some of their hunting rifles?

Yes, I own a good number of variable power scopes as well, but I don't think I own any scope that's over 9X on any rifle. I like the fact that a quality fixed power can cost a good bit less than a comparable variable (same maker & line). Of course, that's not always the case anymore either.

I was a tad skeptical myself at first after finding some killer deals on discontinued fixed power scopes (not popular, apparently!) that brought me several nice Redfield Wideview 4Xs and at least two nice Nikon Monarch 4Xs, all at under a 100 $$ bill. I've also got a nice older 4X Burris FF and newer version of the Weaver K4. I'm a litle disappointed I didn't cash in on a closeout Zeiss 4X too, when I saw it.

I've found that the fixed power scopes don't really hurt my groups at 100 yards either. I've shot some very small groups with them, while getting them set up on their respective rifles. I'd have no problem using one out to about 250 yds on big game too, with the tests I've done (practicing aiming on deer/hogs from my stand)

Off the top of my head, I have fixed power scopes on rifles in 6.5x55, .270 Win, 7X57, 30/06, 8X57 and a combination 12ga/.308. So, am I really the only one who still likes fixed low powered scopes for hunting or what?? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I am slowly moving to fixed power scopes on my big game rifles. I think the varmint guns will keep their variables. I found that the big game scopes just never got changed, so I am switching to simpler, smaller, and lighter fixed power models. If you can't hit a moose with 4X he is too far away.

·
Inactive account
831 Posts
I would love to find a good 4x fixed power scope with a dot reticle.Weaver used to make one and I have an old one on my 10-22.Love that setup on my 22 rimfires.I also have a Siamese Mauser in 45/70 with an old Lyman American in 2.5 x.It shoots the Barnes 350 gr into 3/4 in at 100 yards.My 17-222 Rem Mag has an old Leupold M-8 7.5 power scope on it and works great out past 300 yards on prairie dogs and ground squirrels.I would not hesitate to buy a fixed power scope for a hunting rifle.Mine usually stay set at 6 power anyway.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I still use an old 1960's Weaver K4 on my 03 Springfield .30-06. It still works as well today as it did way back then. I like the versatility of the variables though. So, I own both, no apologizes, no excuses, no remorse.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
I like good quality simple things that work and the Weaver Classic K-4 is a perfect example - For me it is just right.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Long time fan of fixed power.

1.75x on a 30-30

4x on most of my .22's

8x on a Mauser,
and a fixed 10 on my new soon to be critter shootin AR.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i have a fixed 6x sightron with fine crosshair on my M77/22,
and i have a fixed 4x Leupold on my Savage Stryker in 7-08.
if i ever throw a lever gun (i know, i know everyone should have at least one lever gun) into the fold it will be topped with a nice 3x or so fixed scope.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
I'll have to be contrary. Even on my little lever guns I try to put a good variable with a decent sized objective. It does help in low light and you can tune the power to match the remaining light to get the best picture. They are a little harder to shoot from the bench that way, though.

Every little bit helps with pigs!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Weaver K-4 the first scope I ever bought. Put it on my new Marlin 336 in 35 rem. This was more than a few years ago it still is an good scope. I have since used a ghost ring or a scout scope on every field rifle I have. Simple easy to use and is never on the wrong setting.

Kevin

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had to think for a while on this one and have more fixed powers than I realized.

First scope I ever bought is a stainless Weaver. A K4-S. And it is on a 22" barreled 10/22...very accurate set up.

Others are...
a 4x Nikon on a 7mm-08
a 4.75 Weaver GS on a 350 Rem Mag
a K-4S straight tube on a 77/44
a K-6 fine crosshair on a Savage 99 , 67' vintage and in awesome condition!
a K-4 classic (newer model) on a 77/22

On handguns I have two stainless Weavers mounted on Ruger MkII's. One is 2x and a 4x.

I like the simplicity and all are very accurate. All are mounted on hunting rigs and each have their place and purpose. And I never feel like I need more scope when using them. I am far from done with buying fixed powers. I like the idea of an older Redfield Widefield in a 4 or 6x...just classy.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I like a variable myself. I prefer a 2-7 or a 3-9 for most use but I hate the big huge objectives that everyone is marketing these days. Nothing bigger than a 40mm for me as I cannot get a proper cheek weld with anything bigger. I had a 50mm once....it lasted one shooting session and got traded off.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I have both although my longer range (stuff normally used over 100yds) hunting rifles are now wearing variables. They are always carried on the lowest setting. Learned the hard way about close shots and having the power turned up.

Varminting, all I'd have is variables.

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
My hunting terrain has me - at times - moving through north-facing timber after elk or deer where I turn the variable down to 3-4x, then to wide open south-facing mountains and ridges where I turn the scope up to 6-8x, and to 9x for some longer range set shots where the game is not disturbed. I like that ability, but think I could do just fine with a fixed 4 or 6x fixed in most situations. I do prefer the variables for my hunting big game terrain.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I Think the variables are sweet i really like to be able to zoom in on something and get a better look if i need to. just got to remember to keep it zoomed out. Don't think i would use anything under 9X on my big game rifles.

But I just got a .223 for coyote hunting and i may just get a fixed 4x for it. Doesn't seem like i ever have time to adjust power coyote hunting anyway and the lighter simple 4x i think would work great for that and if tel my wife im getting a new scope and spend under a $100 i going get some for sure ;)

·
Banned
278 Posts
My dad hunted for years with a 4x on his 30-06 or 257 Roberts and never felt at a disadvantage. FOV was narrow at 25-50 yds if he jumped a deer. Otherwise it served him well. Then in the 70s I started shooting and new equipment was purchased so naturally new scopes had to be bought for the 30-06 and 257 Roberts. The 06 got a 3x9 Redfield Widefield and the Roberts got a 2x7 Redfield Widefield. They were on sale. Most of the time they were on 2x or 3x. Neither had the classic lines of the Lyman 4x scopes they replaced. I have a Leupold 2.5 x 8 VXIII that is going on a Win M70 Featherweight in 270 Win. It looks pretty classy. I think a Leupold 1x5x will go on my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. I wanted one of the old fashioned William Malcolm 3x 18 inch long tube scopes with external adjustments in the mounts. It would be more period correct on the Cowboy but a little unweildy. A Leupold 1x5 would be easier to negotiate in the woods but it wouldn't look like it belonged there like the old fashioned scope would. It is pretty bad when style trumps function.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.