Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to load some .38 cartridges (105, 125, and 158 lead) over American Pioneer BP substitute in FFFg. The jug says 'No Lube" Is that right? I can load bare bullets with this product? The bullets are WW lead, not pure, so the BHN is probably about 10-11. What is the experience with this?
I will also be using this powder to load a .44 cap and ball and I Crisco the chambers. That's lube. Will it cause problems?
I will also be loading it in a .50 cal single shot with a patched ball and the patch is lubed.

Any advice or experience with these issues? Thanks.

BearBear

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
From the American Powder web site FAQs:
"Q: I see that the use of lube is NOT recommended and that it will actually reduce the results. Why shouldn't I use lube?

A: Lubricants used in muzzleloading have been added to ease loading and to help keep fouling down. Our products generate moisture when it is ignited, so it actually lubricates the barrel when you shoot. Loading will actually be easier than when using lubes. Also, our product produces only a very minimal amount of residue which does not build up. If lubes are allowed to come in contact with the powder, it can actually create fouling and lower performance when burned."

·
Registered
786 Posts
Having played with American Pioneer in my frontstuffers, I'd advise skipping the two light bullets. I would use only the 158gr, a case full of powder and a firm crimp. With anything less, Pioneer will have trouble burning very well.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the advice on the bullet weight, Blackhawk. I was a little concerned about the lighter bullets but reasoned that a round ball in .35 cal. would be light too. But I've heard about American Pioneer's burn and power issues. If I could find GOEX in FFF, I wouldn't have the same issues.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info from the website, ChevWilliam. I wonder if anyone has had experience with using lubed patches with this product. I don't see how I can avoid the grease in the chambers in the cap and ball. Maybe American Pioneer is so har to light, the chain fire risk is minimal. But I won't take the chance. With the cartridges, I'm worried about leading without the lube. I guess I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also see from American's website's FAQs that for cartridges smokeless lubes are recommended. So that answers that question. It says:

"No special black powder lube is required for the bullet and regular smokeless lubed bullets actually work the best. "

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Bud.. I'm not to knowledgable on that particular powder, but i believe that even WITH bullet lube, You will still exp. SOME lead fouling, but i would still stick with the mfg. recommendations on this one.. Good Luck, & Happy shootin to Ya.. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I emailed American Pioneer with my final questions and received a prompt reply. This is what they told me about my cap and ball revolver and single shot lubed patch handgun.

"Thank you for using our powder. The Crisco to seal the chambers should not cause a problem, but only use as much Crisco as necessary For the patches for your single shot pistol, please use the least lube necessary on the patches - excess lube could cause the powder to foul."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts