Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I was wondering if anybody has used the american weigh gemini pro 20 scale. I plan on starting some long range shooting competitions at a local range but only have an rcbs balance system and I feel it is not accurate enough for what my rifle is capable of. So I was wondering if you have used this scale is it suitable for my needs? and does it really live up to the .02 grain accuracy they claim, I appreciate your time and thanks deercannon.

p.s. by long range I mean unknown distance targets from 400 to 800 yards

·
Registered
989 Posts
If your RCBS scale will constantly weigh charges to 1/10 grain (.1) it will be fine for bench rest quality loading. I'm not familiar with Gemini scales but several scales are problematic. Some of the scales are real sensitive to power fluctuations, some don't like fluorescent lighting, some have a "wandering zero" and some have auto shut-off. I have a nice Jennings that measures to 1/100th grain (.01) and it's too sensitive for me. Also it often needs to be "tared" when removing/replacing the pan.

Just my opinion...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,125 Posts
A tenth is adequate resolution. Ideally, you find a load that is insensitive to a variation of a couple of tenths of a grain, anyway.

If you have a load that is more sensitive than that - chances are that shooting conditions changing will play havoc with accuracy....

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I have an RCBS Balance beam type scale with the magnetic damping (a copper flag moving by permanent magnets) and it is calibrated (Marked) in 0.1 grain increments but can resolve to much closer accuracy, indicating the difference in weight of one granule of powder sometimes. From my past employments I know that much better scales are available but need to be kept in a controlled environment and under a cover to block any errant breezes.
the electronic portable scales I have seen all are environment sensitive and suffer the same problems plus those generated by their electronic innards.
Learn to use the ballance scale properly in an environment basically free of breezes and you will find it will weigh charges to the best accuracy you would want, given the inherent variations of powder, bullet, case and rifle at the range.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The RCBS scale will do what you want for long range shooting. What you need to get is a set of calibration weights, that way your scale or any scale can be checked for accuracy.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I went back to a balance beam for powder weighing/loading due to "wandering zero" issues, but do use the electronic ones for measuring case capacity or bullet weights.

I have two electronic scales, one cheap Frankfort Arsenal and an RCBS Rangemaster. I can't really see the advantage of one over the other. Both will wander if used over and extended loading session, though I can get the RCBS to be fairly stable by plugging it in and letting it warm up for about a ½ hour. It used to wind me up having to re-zreo, so for peace of mind, I broke my RCBS 1010 back out....life is better now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts