Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Checking most of the established reputable online dealers like midway, Graf’s, mid south, etc., it looks like $60-70/1000 will be the new normal for primers( when they become available). Powder is slowly also showing up at these dealers.
In a Youtube video it was commented that Primers were a "Surplus" product for after the Factory had been Supplied with them. So, they could remain in Short Supply until Ammo Production begins to Outpace Demand.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There is a contingent of people that I interact with who truly believe that the current shortage of ammo and components are solely contrived by the manufacturers to artificially drive up prices to pad their pocketbooks. These are the same people mind you, that are fine with restrictions on firearms as long as it does not interfere with their Krieghoff's, Perazzi's, Ljutic's, BT 99's, etc...

I for one, believe that the manufacturers are doing the best they can given their circumstances. I am not happy with some of the new retail prices, but am just glad that some components are starting to make their way down to me.

We've weathered these storms before, and I hope I live long enough to see one or two more.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Had to go pick up a few grocery items at the local wally world today. I usually always take a turn through the sporting goods department when I go in. Today, they had about 20 boxes of ammunition in there. No sales clerk in sight and without going behind the counter, I couldn't see what types of ammo, but it was in at least 3 different section so I assume that it was for at least 3 different cartridges. Didn't see one box of shot shells. They also did have a fair bit of black powder stuff, with 4 cans of pyrodex.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Had to go pick up a few grocery items at the local wally world today. I usually always take a turn through the sporting goods department when I go in. Today, they had about 20 boxes of ammunition in there. No sales clerk in sight and without going behind the counter, I couldn't see what types of ammo, but it was in at least 3 different section so I assume that it was for at least 3 different cartridges. Didn't see one box of shot shells. They also did have a fair bit of black powder stuff, with 4 cans of pyrodex.
It amazes me that there are some Walmart stores that sell more than ammo. Even here in Texas, ammo only, and it is behind locked glass and very sporadic. I understand that some in the Midwest sell reloading components. Go figure.

I was lucky and had a friend pick up 2 pounds of Alliant Varmint and 200 CCI SR Magnum primers this week. He owns an Oilfield Fabrication shop very near to this gun shop. They are only 1 1/2 hours away, but when you figure gas....I saved some money by having my buddy pick up what I needed. They are getting some Alliant powders and have some Vihta Vuori in stock and allowing limited metallic primer purchases. No new Hodgdon powders though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The local Walmart in my area has almost no ammo whenever I go in there. The last time I looked, they had 5 boxes total.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Even the best laid plans can go wrong. I have a buddy that owns an oilfield fabrication shop near one of my reloading places. It is an hour and a half drive for me and they will not hold components. I gave him a list of what I thought they had in stock last week...picked it up from his wife this morning.

What I hoped to get... 1 lb. Alliant Pro Varmint, 1 lb. Alliant 10X, 100 CCI SR Magnum and 100 CCI BR#4's. They limit 100 primers/per person per day...but 200 if you buy $50. haha

What I got...2 lbs. Pro Varmint, 200 CCI SR Magnum Primers. They had 10X in stock and the BR#4's. Oh well. I told him to call me when he got there, but he thought he remembered correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with what he got me and saved me a ton of gas and a three hour drive. What he did was greatly appreciated and I am not looking at a "gift horse". I just really wanted some 10X. :D

I did deliver three dozen fresh eggs that he assured me would be gobbled up in the next couple of weeks. I will promise more eggs if he gets my order right. lol

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
Prices never fall without the product becoming cheaper to make and sell. All consumer prices follow fuel. Therefore, prices in ammo and components are going UP not down, unless you want may-pop primers.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Yep. Inflation is prime right now and once it subsides that'll be the new norm. Even then I don't think anyone will be dropping prices except scalpers.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,408 Posts
It will drop if the demand falls off and there is a surplus of production, and everyone needs to move the product. I have seen that several times through various panics... it may not drop to the level it was before the last panic, but it should subside as production catches up and maybe not be too much more expensive, in real terms.

I bought some primers in 2012 that weren't as cheap as I bought them in the late 90s (both post-panic), but considering inflation they weren't too much more expensive in 2012.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Went to a gun store in Livonia GA Monday & yesterday. Very good inventory of guns, fair inventory of powders (no Pro Varmit), fair inventory of bullets, fair inventory of loaded ammo but no 44 Mag, no primers. They said they had some primers come in last week but they were all gone when I got there.

Of intrest to me, they had a pretty good supply of rimfire ammo. Over two days I bought 900 rounds (3x 300 round boxes) of copper washed 22LR by CCI specifically for AR type rifles, supposedly they work well in the CMMG 22LR convertion. Aproximately $0.15 each, but shoots better than nothing.

Pretty proud of their product, but overall, hey, it was in stock.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
There's lots of powder on GB right now for 50.-75.00 a pound, wondering how they get so much and why it's so rare to see it on the shelves at retailers at least where I live here in the west.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,978 Posts
Trying not to be political, but relaying recent news, the Administration is planning to place sanctions on Russia by banning importations of firearms and ammunition. Russia is one of the largest exporter to the US of ammo. Certainly should muddy the already murky supply problem.

Reactions: roseman

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,593 Posts
T' Missus stopped at Sportsman's Warehouse (before she heads home) in Twin Falls the other day to see if they had anything on my list. The "helper" tried to sell her some Federal GM200M small pistol primers for $80/1000 saying they are "the same" as Federal #100's.

Very little powder, none I wanted anyway and no brass to speak of. Heck, they didn't even have Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner 🙄

RJ

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
We have been down this road before and will get through this current situation. At my local gun club, some of the members try to swap and share what they may have on hand. This tends to bring out the best and the worst in folks. Hang in there. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse in K Falls yesterday. No powder, primers and a small selection of bullets. Most all the ammo was centered around 7.62x39, 9mm, 556. They did have some 450 bushmaster and 375 ultra mag. How about a box of 100 Hornady 22 cal 55 gr fmj $45.00. Seem to have a decent supply of 12 ga shotgun ammo though.
So glad I had stocked up pretty well after the last go around.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My local gun store had around a dozen 1 lb containers of powder. The one they had that I use was $30. I paid 20 the last time I bought any. I thought the price was high until I looked on line and saw the prices were even higher plus the shipping.
He had no primers.

As far as the Walmart; one in a city 20+ plus miles from me sells no guns or ammo. Another in a smaller city a little closer carries ammo only and the one in my county sells guns and ammo. Not sure why the difference. Ammo stock at the one in my county has been improving from what I can see. I haven't really been paying much attention to it as I load my own.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Not sure why the difference. Ammo stock at the one in my county has been improving from what I can see. I haven't really been paying much attention to it as I load my own
We have a wally world in our area that carries reloading supplies. I was told that the local store manager is a reloaded is the reason they do that. If that is so, it seems the local managers can influence what they stock

·
Registered
159 Posts
Years ago I ask a WallyWorld manager why the discrepancies in what they stock between stores. He said it was the size of the local populations. Large cities, nothing to do w/guns/ammo. Rural stores got both.

In some areas I have lived (cities of 50,000 or less, read that Ft. Wayne IN & Saginaw MI), stores close to major shopping centers, nothing, but stores on the outskirts had inventory.

As an aside, did anyone notice back in the 90's IIRC that McDonalds started remodeling their dinning rooms w/permanent heavy partitions? It was after several "mass shooter" events.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've been finding several different brands and types of powders but, not much in primers or big ammo selection. Been finding certain calibers ammo like, 9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP. But, kinda expensive.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Got an email from one of my suppliers (local), but still an hour and a half away. He has just got in some CFE 223 which I have been looking for about a year now. I have a grocery order at 7 a.m., and then will be heading up there. Wish me luck that it hasn't all been bought as it is one of the "Unicorn" powders of late. Email came in @ around 4 p.m., so hopefully not all gone.

He also got in a limited amount of 6.5 Creedmoor brass in Lapua if anyone would like me to grab it? Let me know in the next 12 hours.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts