Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok---Not sure where to ask this but I would try here fr starters...I have this stevens 32 cal rim fire rifle and it is in excellent condition..My question for some of you who are more experenced in lading or whatever....Is there another round that can be made to work in this rifle....Or does it have to be the rim fire...Ok now that my head is more clear,I guess maybe there is not as long as it is a rim fire....I also wondered if it were poaaible or even worth the cost to have a 22 cal sleeve in stalled s we can atleat shoot 22 LR out of it..
So start thinking and tell me what you come up with as far as any ideas...I sure would like to b able to shoot it...Althought the sights have a lot to be disired...Thanks for any replys...John in Pa..

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
IRRC, the .32 Rimfire is a heeled bullet cartridge, like the .22 LR, L, and S., so the case is the same diameter as the bullet. That means a conventional straight centerfire case, like a .32 S&W Long won't fit without rechambering.

Sleeving would be tough, because the sleeve would have to be bored off center to get the .22 LR rim under the firing pin.

It seems to me there was a cartridge called the .19 Calhoun that was a conversion for rimfire actions, but was a centerfire cartridge. The gunsmith who came up with it (I'll leave you to guess the name) did a conversion of .22 bolts to centerfire. I don't know any specifics, but in the abstract it doesn't seen like it would be rocket science. If your gun were operated on to get a centerfire firing pin in place, it might be rechambered for a straight wall case. I hate to try to be more specific because I don't recall what the groove diameter for the .32 Long Rimfire is? But, converted to .32 S&W Long, the skirt of a hollow base wadcutter might fill it just fine? Liners are also available for .32 caliber, too, including some .311's for either .32 S&W Long or .32-20 (if your action can handle the much higher pressure - about 30,000 psi max).

At some point Navy Arms had .32 Long RF made in Mexico. This place advertises it, but says they're out of stock. You could call and see if they expect to get more in?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
25-20 S.s.

If you can do a straight centerfire conversion, you might try trimmed 25-20 Single Shot cartridges, or 32 Short Colts from Huntington Specialties. I think someone online advertises these with offset 4mm rimfire blanks for primers. But obviously, centerfire is probably the best route if your rifle will stand it. Remember, black or 777, replica powder only. The colt 32 bullet is right on, if you can find these little slugs for reloading. Ammo-one.com had some of the Navy Arms ammo for collectors, but they're about $75/50.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,I greatly appreciate your replys..Some very well thought out as well..
I have been into shooting and reloading for 40 years or so..Put have to
admit that I never got into all the basics of gun repair or any type of
cartridge conversion like that... I have a friend who is into it big time
but he is one of those that says things can't be done or it isn't worth it
type...But after a lot of thinking about this,I have decided to just leave
it as is and not worry about..Do some more loading and head to the
range and make some noise..Thanks again..John

·
Banned
133 Posts
Dixie Gun Works has what you need.

DGW sells brass in several rimfire calibers, including .32, that can be loaded. The head has an offset hole to hold a .22 blank cartridge. Add a case full of black powder and thumb press a round ball and you're in business. Just make sure the .22 rim is where the firing pin can reach it when you load the rifle.

I love these old guns.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tumbleweeds------Thanks for the information..I will check it out.I have forgotten all about them.
It has been a long time since I ordered from them...John

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
A retired friend who owned a gun store had 32 rim fire ammunition for sale. As of year ago it was still available. Don't remember the maker but I can ask if your interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts