Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bolt action Savage .22 with the accu-trigger and heavy barrel for my daughter and I to use in the NRA light rifle qual. course. Bought about 15 different kinds of ammo to see which worked best. Three differet shooters could not do better than one to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds from the bench. Not good enough to qualify as "distingushed expert". I sent the rifle back to Savage for evaluation and they returned it to me with a target with a three shot goup of .5" at 100yds. (Probably from a machine rest.) They told me that they used Federal Gold Medal 711B for the test. So here's my problem. I can't find any of this ammo. Can anybody suggest an alternative they feel might work as well that is in stock at suplliers for this Savage rifle.
Thanks,
Post or by email

·
Super Moderator
13,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in, have fun, and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

I'll make your post its own thread. See if that gets any more response?

The shooting tunnel at Savage has a bench rest, but not a machine rest, per se. A human holds and operates the rifle.

You might look at other subsonic ammunition if you can't find the Federal? RWS, Eley, and I think maybe Wolf all make some? Can you list what you've already tried?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I suggest the Federal Champion in the blue box. The older Federal loads in the Red box were good in a variety of rifles. This has a lot to do with the diameter of the bullet where it enters the throat.
You will notice the new Federal Champion has the driving band just ahead of the case mouth which is slightly larger than the bullet diameter. Thi ammunition has given good accuracy in a variety of general use .22 rifles.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Winchester Super X solid 40 gr or HP 37 grain works for me when I shoot 100 yard matches. At 50 yards I use Remington Golden Bullet, (the stuff in the 100 packs, not the bulk ammo. On a good day I can shoot .5"

I get the same results with CCI match 40 grain solids, just more expensive.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
ive got a brick of golden bullet that averages mabe 1-2 out of every 6rnds
ff..buy the hundred pack ,as old grump said ..theres gotta be some difference in them and the bulk..if we lived close to each other id give the brick to you..slim

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a brick of it too and it may take years to get shot up.

I have over 2,000 rounds of the more expensive plastic boxes of 100 and I have been winning matches or at least placing high with them. They don't last long and every week I have to buy another 3 or 4 boxes. Funny how that works. I go to 3 different gun stores and buy them out regularly. One store had just received a case, set them out on the shelf and I walked in 10 minutes later and bought all of them. Might be why they only have 3 or 4 boxes at a time on the shelf now. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts