Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing a MAS 49/56 w/Accessories and I am concerned about ammo.  I can buy 7.5mm French ammo but it's corrosive.  I have been told that I would be much better off if I learn to reload.  Or that I should get the rifle chambered for the .308 cartridge.  Does anyone know what it could cost me to get that done by a reputable gunsmith?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Personally I would use the surplus ammo instead of going to the trouble of handloading this "oddball" cartridge.  You'd need Berdan primers and primer removal tool.  I wouldn't go for one converted to 7.62 NATO either. If it isn't 7.5 French it isn't a "real" MAS 49/56, nes pas? Dealing with corrosive primers is very easy.

After you're done shooting for the day, field strip the weapon. With the barreled action in hand, dunk it into a boiling hot bucket of water muzzle first. Then start drawing a cleaning rod with a brush attached back and forth through the barrel, siphoning clear water in and expelling dirty water with each thrust. Do this about two dozen times. Then run a couple dry patches to remove any remaining water. Run another with your favorite gun oil, wipe the metal parts with same, and you're done. I used to shoot a lot of 1950's surplus .30-06 in a Garand and using this technique left me with a smooth bore until the day I sold it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts