Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that 30-30 ammo has been improved since the early 1990's when I last hunted deer. Will my rifle handle the 200-300 yard rounds and to what extent will they be accurate on an animal that size? The barrel is not very long. Also, any recommendations on what brand and size of ammo would be a good fit. I don't think I could take or make any 300 yard shots.
Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
You might be talking about Hornady's Leverevolution ammo? It's got a pointed bullet with a soft tip. I don't know about "300 yard" shots but it does extend the range a good bit since the bullet is pointed and doesn't loose velocity as fast as traditional flat, or round, nose bullets.

I've not tried it but my understanding is that it should function fine through your Win 94. I'm sure others who have used this ammo in a '94 will chime in.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've not tried it but my understanding is that it should function fine through your Win 94. I'm sure others who have used this ammo in a '94 will chime in.
you are correct sir i use the horniday ftx in my model 94 45 colt they are good but not anything to go crazy for one thing i can say is that the ae will handel any 30-30 factory ammo to get the full potental out of these guns one must reload hotter bullets than you can buy this is my opnion after many thousands of rounds out of the ae gas checked cast bullets shoot the best out of mine

·
Registered
676 Posts
Not a gun problem but a sight problem, hard to set that sight on a target much past 100 yards without covering it up unless you change sights or go to a scope. The Hornady round uses a lighter bullet and the point on it to get added speed thus more distance and a flatter trajectory. They didn't increase the power so your gun will handle it just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I use a scope. I guess the next thing I need to do is see what kind of group I can get at the range.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got an AE with a 20" barrel and a scope. I put the scope on last year because I had permission to hunt where my shots were further than 50 yds. It shoots power points, core-lokts, and Hornady's leverevolutions really well. Right now I am using Winchester 150 grain power points (mainly because they were on sale when I was buying ammo). Plus, they shoot really nice groups at 100 yds since I put the scope on the rifle. I used 170 grain core-lokts before, and never had a problem with them. I limit my shots to 125 yds or so with those rounds because of the shorter barrel. I may switch to the leverevolutions after I am out of the power points because they do extend the effective range to a little over 200 yds in my rifle. I'm not sure yet because 100 yds is a long long long way in the woods. I found the following website when I was looking for comparisons of 30/30 ammo. It may help your decision because the test rifle is a Winchester with a 20" barrel.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/120.htm

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I understand that 30-30 ammo has been improved since the early 1990's when I last hunted deer. Will my rifle handle the 200-300 yard rounds and to what extent will they be accurate on an animal that size? The barrel is not very long. Also, any recommendations on what brand and size of ammo would be a good fit. I don't think I could take or make any 300 yard shots.
Thanks
Welcome to ShootersForum! As one of the founders of this site often said, "Rules are simple, be nice and join in!"

The 30/30 cartridge, fired from an 18" or 20" barrel, will develop plenty of velocity to shoot paper targets at 300 yards, particularly with the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. It starts to show quite a bit of drop when you get past 225-250 yards, but we have a gentleman on this site who has used his 30/30 to "ring the bell" at 275 yards with regularity. He practiced for a while to see what he and his gun were capable of doing, in good conditions.

Sight in just about any 30/30 round 4" high at 100 yards and your gun will be able to harvest deer at 250, with little or no hold-over. As others have pointed out, in many whitetail hunting situations, you will rarely encounter shot opportunities at those distances. It's like anything else, though: If you practice to the full capability and know your weapon, and yourself, you'll have a lot more confidence when a longer shot does present itself. Also, those 100 yard shots will seem very easy after a few hundred practice rounds at 250. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts