Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any problems with Federal Power-Flite .22LR in their Marlin 39?
I have a 1965 Golden 39A rifle, and twice I had the rim rupture on a Federal Power-Flite LR cartridge ,blowing back on my face. The case had a split across the rim about 45degrees from point of firing pin contact.
Could something be wrong with the rifle ,such as the bolt not locking tight enough with the cartridge?
I haven't had the rifle long, and maybe shot 200+ rounds of mostly Remington Thunderbolt LR ,and less than a box of shorts and CB longs. This is the only problem that I've had ,and I really love this old rifle !This is my first Marlin ,but not my first lever-gun ,and I'm impressed with the over-all classic quality.
I would appreciate any suggestions.Thank you.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Sounds like an ammo issue to me. You said you only a problem with the Federal? I would stay away from that ammo in the case.
I have 10 Marlin 22 levers, between 39A's and 1897's, and have never had any issues like you describe. They are a very well built, beautiful gun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have seen this alot lately with people using some of that stored away ammo. Depending on how it had been stored you may see this same problem with non jacketed or electroplated ammo. The lead has started to corrode and when loaded it is jammed into the gun splitting the case. When fired you get most of the load into your face. With all thats going on in this world today and we store more and more ammo just be carefull where it is stored or your investment may be worth not in about ten years. try to buy the electro plated ammo to store.

·
Banned
421 Posts
If you try other brands of ammo that you know are fresh and have the same issue, it is possible that your rifle has a headspace issue. That would warrant a trip to the gunsmith. I have never heard of that issue with a 39A, but there is a first time for anything. Safety first!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Federal Ammo ,Split rims

I too have had split rims,AND only on Federal Power-flite !
Also in a Marlin 39A .
Never in Remington ,old or fresh.
The Federal Ammo WAS old though so it might be like Sleddmann wrote :corroded ammo.
On the Rimfire Ammo section of the forum ,poor quality brass was suggested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts