Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an age old question, but in these desperate times some of us only have FMJ and any other ammo is nearly impossible to acquire. I am in this predicament - tons of FMJ but very light on HP. So.... will you use FMJ for SD/HD and how would you adjust if so?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,362 Posts
I'd load up some 158 grain Speer flat points over a healthy dose of H100 for the .357.

As far as your perdickerment? FMJ's from, I am guessing, a 9mil, I'd pass. While they are cheap plinkers and good practice ammo, as defence ammo they leave much to be desired IMO as such. Now I'm no expert and I don't want to start a debate (which often leads to a full blown description of one's past experiences taking out mutts and skells) but to me a fast expanding soft point would be preferred.

One man's opinion.

RJ

Reactions: MZ5 and Darkker

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Ammo situation isn't totally hosed..can get HP's...maybe not the specific ones I want to use. Can get FP solids. I'm not liking the price or selection.
But If all you have is RN FMJ...isn't the solution what its always been: go bigger.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You use what you have. If all you have is FMJ when you have to defend yourself you fire and hit vitals.
If you change ammo type just make sure you re-sight you gun. Different ammo may not shoot to the same point of impact. It is important to know where your gun shoots before you need it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have FMJ for 9mm, 357mag, 10mm, 44mag, 45acp. HP for 9mm, 38spcl, 10mm. - Definitely more of the FMJ. I have not been able to find ammo at all for these popular cals. I have some in hand now, not enough for SHTF, but should handle any isolated instance that my quiet suburb may throw at me.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Consider,
Most of the worlds armies, hoodlums and terrorists use FMJ to pretty good effect.
Shot placement is likely more an issue.

·
11,362 Posts
Everything feeds in a wheel gun 😉

RJ

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Was thinking the same thing....after all, the orginal poster showes a revolver in his avatar...but even there, if all I had were tradtional RN FMJ, I'd want them to be big ones.
After all, isn't that whatt made the reputation of 44/40's and .45 colts?
Ammo shortage?...it's really good to be a relaoder/bullet caster.

·
Premium Member
15,176 Posts
My everyday town carry gun has never had anything but FMJs. Less feed worry.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My avatar is my S&W M&P R8. No issues with that one at all - ever. It guards my house and stays bedside all the time. But 357mag FMJ for sd/hd?? That will be a real hole puncher. I have 38's but not enough.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Just some practical observations....trying to save some folks from unpleasant real life experiments/experiences.

With a standard transmission in a car/truck...you go two choices...drive or shoot. Really can't do both at the same time worth a hoot.
(Although I will give you that most youngsters/car jackers won't want to steal a stick shift).

Have you ever fired a "hot-rod" handgun inside a car will all the windows rolled up but one (and it has to be worse with all the windows rolled up)..it's distracting.

(go ahead...you'll go deaf slolwly...try it without ear protection at the range....it's not like you drivce around with that stuff stuffed in your ears.)

SCREAMING helps....it kind of erqualizes the pressure on your ear drum. Doesn't matter if you scream like a girl scout,just scream.

4 places would be:

1.HAve it with you,moments noiced type grab-n-go, at all times. The type of confrontations we need it for don;'t make appointments.
2. Loaded with relaible ammo no matter what the type. Bang-bang-bang-bang-bang....beats the bejesus out of bang.bang..click
3.Not being a "yssup"(spell it backwards)...if you are up and running,keep on fighting...it'stoo late to run.
4th place...after you've had one you can use right now,it runs 100%,and you are in fighting mode...what the bullet will do or won't do is like a magic trick.

Basicaly (to the orginal question)...nope, not all that worried. So long as I can get the first 3 right, the 4ths is a "bonus" that I can't rely on.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,142 Posts
I just want to know what hollow points, or which crappy gun you guys can't get to feed them?

I've never had a Ruger or a Glock not eat absolutely anything I gave it. YMMV

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just want to know what hollow points, or which crappy gun you guys can't get to feed them?

I've never had a Ruger or a Glock not eat absolutely anything I gave it. YMMV
I have ruger's and glocks too, love em.

·
11,362 Posts
I forgot about my Glock 22 eating 180 grain XTP's like Halloween candy. Mostly it gets 180 grain Rainier ballistics plated, but I found that the XTP's POI is the same as the RB's.

That being said, my "daily carry" is still a .357 loaded with 158 grain Speer soft points whether they will or won't penetrate winter clothing or will or won't deafen me if fired from the inside my '01 F250 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel a with an automatic, or T'missus' '10 Acadia.

Come to think of it, I have witnessed the firing of a Ruger Security Six (with 158 grain Speers) in a '73 F250 with the windows rolled up. My sister put one through the passenger side floorboard while we were supposed to be checking cows. I was 12 and she was 17. All I told her was

"Don't leave that chamber empty, Dad can count you know."

Anyways

RJ

Reactions: Tball and bsn

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Based on input here, I will use what I have on hand to defend if necessary. Someone mentioned car/truck guns... for my suburban area my car gun is Ruger SP101 with 38spcl ammo HP. I think my ears will survive and still put a hurting on the BG.

so.... (loaded question) anyone know of any online store with available ammo?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Having to actually shoot someone, rather than point your gun at them, is the exception. And having someone continue to advance on you after shooting them is also highly unusual. It happens though, and that’s why I look at defense loads like hunting loads. I’m sure I’m repeating myself here but I’m no fan of hollow points in a “standard velocity “ semi auto, based on penetration. A flat point round nose for my tastes....

·
11,362 Posts
Yeah, use watcha got.

I was looking on-line for 9mm and, nothing, anywhere. It appears the #Proud Boys and other idjits have grabbed everything there was to be had.

I traded mine off literally YEARS ago and haven't looked back. Traded the really nice Springfield 1911 45 ACP on another .357 AND another 44 Mag. The Glock 22 is well stocked with reloads and factory bad guy stoppers.

Anyways.

RJ

1 - 20 of 37 Posts