Shooters Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,376 Posts
Having to actually shoot someone, rather than point your gun at them, is the exception. And having someone continue to advance on you after shooting them is also highly unusual. It happens though, and that’s why I look at defense loads like hunting loads. I’m sure I’m repeating myself here but I’m no fan of hollow points in a “standard velocity “ semi auto, based on penetration. A flat point round nose for my tastes....
That's why I wasn't impressed with any factory (or reloaded) hollow point offerings for either the 9mil or 45ACP and prefer Speer soft nose flat points in both .357 and 44 Magnums. Winter clothes or no, it's going to hurt like heck. Even my "testing" of XTP's at less than "magnum" *velocities was less than impressive.

RJ

* Ruger only loads tested in mine.

Reactions: unclepaddy

·
Registered
66 Posts
I carry a .45 ACP. I use a 225 gr. TC over a middlin' charge of Bullseye or Red Dot, for almost everything, competition, concealed carry, plinking, etc. If I had to switch to 230 gr. FMJRN, I don't think I'd suddenly feel under-armed. Ditto the 40 S&W or the 10mm.
I don't like 9mm for defense, so I try to avoid carrying one. If I simply had to, and had no other choice of ammo but FMJ, I'd carry it and hate it. But I'd also find a way to practice the Mozambique maneuver (2 shots in the chest, one in the head), until it's second nature (it pretty much already is).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks all... Always looking.

I do have about 300 rounds of 22WMR that I have no use for. Nothing to shot them with and doubt I will get another 22mag.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sportsman’s Warehouse here in Laramie, and Cheyenne has been getting a trickle of 9MM, and 40. Murdoch’s had a pile of all kinds of ammo last tome I went about 2 weeks back.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sportsman’s Warehouse here in Laramie, and Cheyenne has been getting a trickle of 9MM, and 40. Murdoch’s had a pile of all kinds of ammo last tome I went about 2 weeks back.
I checked Murdoch's - they have ammo, but only available in store... Not going to get there from here (Florida).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an age old question, but in these desperate times some of us only have FMJ and any other ammo is nearly impossible to acquire. I am in this predicament - tons of FMJ but very light on HP. So.... will you use FMJ for SD/HD and how would you adjust if so?
Without hesitation. The Geneva Convention still prohibits anything but FMJ. If that's what I have, that's what goes between the transgressors eyes. I'll save the specialty ammo for animals that I don't want to suffer a slow painful death.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Appreciate all the feedback and I am not as concerned about my ammo selection for now. I will re-stock as soon as I can. Be safe all.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
All things political and social considered....maybe it's time to buy something that is likely to work by sheer size? Something you could likely find ammo...or cast something...that offers a fair chance of pistol effectiveness without having to "do tricks" after impact?

Or you could rely on the fine tuned/uniquely made civilian sale HP's....which will work great, but aren't nearly as easy for self-reliant replacement.

Just one....all I'm asking is just one big-bore...revolver or semi-auto...with a preference for the wheel gun when times get really tough.

Can keep those big bore revolvers at least effectively running with damned near anything that will burn (powder) or melt and cast (bullets).

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,808 Posts
Without hesitation. The Geneva Convention still prohibits anything but FMJ. If that's what I have, that's what goes between the transgressors eyes. I'll save the specialty ammo for animals that I don't want to suffer a slow painful death.
It's the Hague Accords, not the Geneva Convention, and the U.S. did not sign the Hague Accords. It only applies to military actions, not citizen self defense, anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks all... Always looking.

I do have about 300 rounds of 22WMR that I have no use for. Nothing to shot them with and doubt I will get another 22mag.
They are a blast to shoot at night out of a NAA mini with the 1 inch barrel. 😁😎😎

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All things political and social considered....maybe it's time to buy something that is likely to work by sheer size? Something you could likely find ammo...or cast something...that offers a fair chance of pistol effectiveness without having to "do tricks" after impact?

Or you could rely on the fine tuned/uniquely made civilian sale HP's....which will work great, but aren't nearly as easy for self-reliant replacement.

Just one....all I'm asking is just one big-bore...revolver or semi-auto...with a preference for the wheel gun when times get really tough.

Can keep those big bore revolvers at least effectively running with damned near anything that will burn (powder) or melt and cast (bullets).
Does 44mag work for big bore? I got that covered... unless you are talking bigger?

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
As we learned....primers are the weak point...but given a supply of those, it's easy to keep a revolver at least running no matter what the factory ammo situation happens to be. Semi-autos are a bit more picky about the right powder/pressure to function.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ten years ago, I told the wife that lead would be worth more in the near future than gold. She laughed, back then. Not so much now. Get what you can now. I have auto pistols and one revolver, a .357 blackhawk. If I was swapping or buying components, it would be for the revolver.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have my loads for each of my guns, pistols and rifles alike. I keep a three year supply of components on hand and a three year supply of loaded ammunition. I have never had to panic buy anything. When Speer dropped their 140 357 bullet I found a different bullet and worked up a new load for it. Once proven I loaded up on components and loaded ammo. If you got caught short this time remember the next time ammo and components are widely available and stock up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've never seen ammo and primers like they are now. My guess is the primers are going for ammo right now. There's probably not much left over for us poor reloaders.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Use the FMJs.
the only issue with them is the increased chance of pass through... there is an increased chance of hitting an innocent (so make sure of what's behind your target).

While many will argue the need for HP, and not just "any" HP's, the properly tested for 2 legged predators HP's and using FMJs will result in not killing the perp/ killing bystanders/ you're a bad human being if you use FMJ's :rolleyes: ... etc.
If a projectile makes it through to the vitals it will kill, if you put multiple holes in the perp even if you don't hit vitals, there is a good chance that they will bleed out.
While FMJs are not my first choice... they most definitely work and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Like someone already said... the worlds militaries use FMJs in their weapons and look at how well they work.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts